Mid January Hatch thread....

I'm so excited to see more chicks hatch this weekend! It's so fun to see!!!

Joneus, really? The size of a golf ball? I may have to hatch some bantams, just to see that. I can't believe they're so tiny!!

Yes!!! Well- more like golf balls with legs, LOL! The brick you see in the picture is about 1/3 of a full brick, if that helps with scale. I am amazed every time I look at them- they're so unbelievably tiny!!!

My chickens will be two weeks old this weekend, and they're starting to enter that horribly ugly/gawky stage.

Hulksmash isn't doing so well. I took off her hobble yesterday. She'd been wearing it 8 days, with no improvement. It kept it from looking too awful when on, but when I take it off, her leg really flops out there. She was so miserable with it on though, and since there wasn't improvement, I wasn't sure if it was worth continuing treatment. Then again, as I've watched her without it, she's not walking around much anyway, so maybe she would be better off with it on, even if it's not permanently improving anything. I don't know.

sad.png

I'm so sorry. Poor chickie! I'd leave it on, FWIW. At least, with it on, she's able to walk around, right? I hope she gets better!!

wee.gif
yesss.gif
I got a pip!! I got a pip!!
woot.gif
I am so very excited!!! Come on, Chickie Chickie!! I have had "lockdown nightmares" the last 2 nights...One was where I put the baby chicks in the freezer instead of the brooder by mistake...when I realized what I had done.. I cleaned out the freezer but couldn't find the chicks! ( all a dream!) I had "nightmares" like this when I was pregnant!!
lau.gif
I hope they all make it out ok...Everyone's chickie pictures are so cute!! Yay for great hatch rates!!
jumpy.gif

wee.gif
yesss.gif
woot.gif
I am so very excited!!! Come on, Chickie Chickie!! I have had "lockdown nightmares" the last 2 nights...One was where I put the baby chicks in the freezer instead of the brooder by mistake...when I realized what I had done.. I cleaned out the freezer but couldn't find the chicks! ( all a dream!) I had "nightmares" like this when I was pregnant!!
lau.gif
I hope they all make it out ok...Everyone's chickie pictures are so cute!! Yay for great hatch rates!!
jumpy.gif

That's very exciting! I hope you have a smooth and quick hatch.

When my chicks were going into lockdown, I dreamed I dropped the lid on the eggs, crushing every one. It must be a somewhat common phenomenon.

Honestly, I'm contemplating culling Hulksmash. I'm just not sure how well she could get around outside, and someone mentioned in another thread that if she was ever mounted by a rooster, it could seriously injure her. I was planning on a rooster, so I'm not sure how this would work out. I'm really torn up over it though- I don't even kill spiders (unless they're poisonous), and don't get a live Christmas tree, so the idea of actively killing something that I have grown so attached to is awful. On the other hand, I have decided that death is not always the worst possible outcome.

wee.gif
yesss.gif
woot.gif
lau.gif
jumpy.gif

If u weren't worried you wouldn't be a good mama! congrats!!!!!!

We started with 20 eggs from two different breeders and at the last minute threw in one egg from our BCM hen as a space holder (lol) bringing the total to 21, took out four early on that were blanks, and many of ours (marans and a few ameraucanas) were too dark for us to candle properly so we just left them as wait and see eggs.

Today is day 21 and I came downstairs to a pipped egg. Guess which one?? Yep, the BCM that we tossed in the last minute not expecting it to be fertile!!

Eggs-citing day!! What a great birthday weekend for meeee!
wee.gif

I had one more zip at 10:00, another at 11:00, and 2 during the night for a total of 5 so far. Before the chicks hatched the eggs were easy to see when they pipped , now after playing soccer with the eggs that are left I can't tell if any are pipped or not. They sure can move things around.

Last edited:

Today is hatch day but most of them are already here. I have two in the incubator that have pipped. I have removed the other 31 to temporary plastic tubs until I can get them outside to their kiddie swimming pool. I have GLW, BO, SS hatched. I have a red baby that I have no idea unless it is a BO. The only LO egg I have hasn't pipped. These are shipped eggs and I really never expected to have this many hatch. One hatched without absorbing the yolk and it looks like it has died.
Here are a few of them in their tub.

awww! so jealous!! Still waitng for mine ! (Jan28th)

Today is hatch day but most of them are already here. I have two in the incubator that have pipped. I have removed the other 31 to temporary plastic tubs until I can get them outside to their kiddie swimming pool. I have GLW, BO, SS hatched. I have a red baby that I have no idea unless it is a BO. The only LO egg I have hasn't pipped. These are shipped eggs and I really never expected to have this many hatch. One hatched without absorbing the yolk and it looks like it has died.
Here are a few of them in their tub.

Back
Top Bottom