Mid way though broodyness

Nuclearooster

Chirping
Aug 10, 2021
I have a production blue ( blue australorp/ rhode island red) hen who has been broody for 2 maybe 2.5 weeks. Last week i let her have the fertile eggs the other chickens were laying. She seems pretty set on these eggs. How likely is it she'll stay broody and hatch these eggs? Or is it better to take the eggs away and not risk a failed hatch?

I have a production blue ( blue australorp/ rhode island red) hen who has been broody for 2 maybe 2.5 weeks. Last week i let her have the fertile eggs the other chickens were laying. She seems pretty set on these eggs. How likely is it she'll stay broody and hatch these eggs? Or is it better to take the eggs away and not risk a failed hatch?
Since she’s already there I would leave her. Is she in a space away from the others? If they lay eggs in her nest you won’t be able to tell them apart unless you mark hers & remove any new ones daily.

She should stay broody. Most of the time a hen will stay on the nest until hatch even if that is a couple weeks past the start of brooding. If she would break at that time you could move the eggs to the incubator if you have one.

Since she’s already there I would leave her. Is she in a space away from the others? If they lay eggs in her nest you won’t be able to tell them apart unless you mark hers & remove any new ones daily.
She in the nesting box they all use. Ill mark the eggs. Also there's other nests for them to use. I tried to move her but she just went back to her old nest and ive had others stop being broody after moving them. Ill mark the eggs and cross my fingers. Thx for the advice

She should stay broody. Most of the time a hen will stay on the nest until hatch even if that is a couple weeks past the start of brooding. If she would break at that time you could move the eggs to the incubator if you have one.
Im.hoping she stays broody but ill see if i can find an incubator just in case...ive never used one though

If you want to move a broody hen you need to lock them where they can not go back to the original nest. Best not to give them the hatch eggs until they settle in. I use a wire cage in the coop. If you don't mind taking eggs out daily in the nest box should be fine.

If you want to move a broody hen you need to lock them where they can not go back to the original nest. Best not to give them the hatch eggs until they settle in. I use a wire cage in the coop. If you don't mind taking eggs out daily in the nest box should be fine.
Im going to mark the eggs and remove the others . Thanks the the advice

Back
Top Bottom