Midget or miniature pigeon

Would that impact size from birth? It hatched out much smaller than the other 2.
No, that wouldn't have an impact on birth size (they can only become infected with it after they are hatched. Three eggs from one pair is extremely rare, so the most likely scenario is another hen laid an egg in their nest. It would come down to the genetic makeup of whoever laid the egg and whoever sired that egg. It could be some genetic defect, it could be a genetic throwback to some smaller breed that was a part of those ferals... whatever it is, the baby is certainly not normal in it's development.

No, that wouldn't have an impact on birth size (they can only become infected with it after they are hatched. Three eggs from one pair is extremely rare, so the most likely scenario is another hen laid an egg in their nest. It would come down to the genetic makeup of whoever laid the egg and whoever sired that egg. It could be some genetic defect, it could be a genetic throwback to some smaller breed that was a part of those ferals... whatever it is, the baby is certainly not normal in it's development.
Usually this pair puts out black and greys, so I was surprised by the red/brown one. That is likely the "adopted" one out of the bunch. The parents are some of my most "wild" type birds, and smaller on average, so a genetic throwback to whatever dove type they are from seems possible. He is also maturing slowly, in comparison to the siblings, so maybe a combination of factors. Thank you for the input!

An update on Nugget-

Nuggy is now 3 months old, and still a tiny little thing. I'd say about 1/2 the size of her siblings and parents. She goes flying with the rest of the flock, and has a big attitude to make up for her small size. She gets picked on a bit, but not too badly. Her hair style just adds so much extra personally. She can't really coo yet, but makes the most pathetic sounding squeak/coo when she is telling me to leave her alone.

Attachments

• IMG_20210801_200925671.jpg
    IMG_20210801_200925671.jpg
    418.5 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20210801_200949840.jpg
    IMG_20210801_200949840.jpg
    374 KB · Views: 22

Back
Top Bottom