I finally got pictures!

Attachments

• IMG_20240312_161108013_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240312_161108013_HDR.jpg
    635 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20240312_161444194_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240312_161444194_HDR.jpg
    306 KB · Views: 11
It’s very cute! It could be domestic, especially if it’s all alone. Here’s a good article on catching pigeons if you want to try: https://www.pigeonrescue.org/faqs-2/how-to-catch-a-pigeon-or-dove-in-need-of-rescue/.
This is how I started, finding a white king pigeon, probably the result of a DIY dove release, on a local bridge. I caught it using the laundry basket trap similar to what showed in that article. I put the basket on a piece of plywood, with holes drilled so I could pass some string through to tie down one side of the basket, opposite the one I propped up with a stick; that way when I had caught him I could just carry him home inside the laundry basket/plywood cage. it worked great. I had been feeding him for a few weeks so he was used to me bringing seed and sitting close.

In the course of getting him a mate, then dealing with some “oops“ babies, I was up to eight pigeons last year. Of course that necessitated building them a home. I have six now but space for one more pair so we will see…

IMG_2814.jpeg

(There are repurposed plywood upper kitchen cabinets mounted on the wall as nest boxes but hidden by the polycarbonate roof in this picture.)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom