Midget White Turkey Questions

purplequeenvt

Songster
8 Years
Apr 9, 2011
Charlotte, VT
I was given 4 MWT about a month and a half ago. I don't know how old they are, but my guess is 3 - 4 months seeing as they haven't grown a lot since they've been here.

Question #1 - Gender....how can you tell what sex they are if no one is displaying and acting "tom-ish"? I *think* that I have 2 pairs because 2 are bigger, have larger snoods, and redder heads. I have tried to get good pictures to illustrate this, but they are excellent at avoiding the camera.

Question #2 - Are they supposed to have blue eyes?

Quote:
Photos are the best:)

And yes blue eyes..I used to love staring into my hens eyes
love.gif

Ok...I got some head shots. I am now almost 100% sure that I have 2 males and 2 females. The 2 girls have a line of feathers running up their necks and the boys have the "warts" on their necks.

Female
6595935767_fdf165e954.jpg

Male
6595936579_d2d6ce1f30.jpg

Quote:
Looks to be...too bad you didn't have them when they hatched I can sex them at that age..but it does look like you have a pair
ya.gif

I had a heck of a time identifying gender on our first poults, too. Behavior and vocalizations are not reliable indicators compared to chickens.

I think I'll stick to snoods, beards, and carnucles (aka "neck warts" LOL) next time.

Back
Top Bottom