Midnight Majesty Marans- prolapsing vent and weird bump.

SweetNSassy

In the Brooder
Mar 16, 2021
Hi, I've got some new chicks, about two and a half weeks old and one of my MMMs is starting to have a prolapsed vent whenever she poops. She starts peeping loudly when it happens. Is there something I should be doing for her? She has plenty of water and I've been steadily turning the heat down in the brooder so it's not too hot. I think the thermostat is at 31° C right now.
Earlier I had to clean up a little bit of pasty butt from her, but nothing was clogging her vent. After she's done pooping, her vent makes it back inside and looks normal.

One more thing, while I was checking her out, I noticed a pink bump right above her tail. It looks like a piece of down is coming out of the tip of the bump. Any thoughts? Here's some pics. (She has sooo many feathers on her feet, I had to share that too!)

Attachments

• 20220420_190544.jpg
    20220420_190544.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 13
  • 20220420_190825.jpg
    20220420_190825.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 20220420_190820.jpg
    20220420_190820.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 20220420_190534.jpg
    20220420_190534.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 11
I've been steadily turning the heat down in the brooder so it's not too hot. I think the thermostat is at 31° C right now.
Earlier I had to clean up a little bit of pasty butt from her, but nothing was clogging her vent. After she's done pooping, her vent makes it back inside and looks normal.
The bump you see on her back is her oil gland. Leave it alone.

She may still be a bit too warm. Is she avoiding the heat?

Offer wet feed and make sure she's drinking well. You can give her a few small chunks of hardened coconut oil twice a day to eat, this may help with constipation.
If her vent looks irritated, apply a bit of oil to the vent too.

Are you feeding anything besides chick starter? If you are, does she have grit?

The bump you see on her back is her oil gland. Leave it alone.

She may still be a bit too warm. Is she avoiding the heat?

Offer wet feed and make sure she's drinking well. You can give her a few small chunks of hardened coconut oil twice a day to eat, this may help with constipation.
If her vent looks irritated, apply a bit of oil to the vent too.

Are you feeding anything besides chick starter? If you are, does she have grit?
No, she's not avoiding the heat. In fact, there are times when her and the other chicks cuddle up under the lamp, which makes me hesitate to turn the heat down more right now.

I haven't added grit yet, which is on my to-do list for tomorrow. They're only getting chick starter so far, no treats. They're also due for an upgrade to their brooder for more space to run around.

I tried giving her some coconut oil tonight, but she wouldn't touch it.

I'll try the wet feed and see if that helps. Thanks so much!

Back
Top Bottom