midwinter solstice celebrations

raise your kids as you wish....and no, you are not cruel if you dont believe in santa......i on the other hand, i still believe in santa.....for all the good reasons of the heart...its magic and good feelings of christmas...
santa doesnt bring toys to the kids that have everything....he brings joy and happiness to the kids who have nothing...to the homeless....to those in need...santa is in the heart....he is you and me.....he is all
the people who open their hearts and help others......do something special for a stranger, or a family in need....thats the spirt of christmas....not what church you go to or what god you believe in......what does
it hurt to say merry christmas???....just smile and say good wishes back!...i dont care what anyone believes in....i wish everyone a happy day for every holiday, no matter what they beleive!...and i dont really
think a little fairy tale ever hurt any child....the "real" world can be a cruel place, i think we ALL should take a brake, and rest our minds with a fairy tale or story from time to time...life is nothing more then what you make it!

I don't see a problem with it at all! We do Santa, but I don't think you are depriving your child of anything! Our main focus of Christmas is to celebrate it as the Christian holiday of Christ's birth. We tell our kids that Santa is just for fun. We don't make a huge deal about Santa. We don't go crazy with gift buying. Just a few very thoughtful gifts. We celebrate Christ's birth and really try to get the kids to focus on doing something for someone else, rather than on what gifts to expect under the tree. Don't worry about what others think! I do have to say that we, too, enjoy watching the wonder of Santa through our kids' eyes.

Last edited:
You are not cruel at all. We do the whole Santa thing, that's how we were raised. Loved Christmas as a child, and it really is magic through the eyes of a child..

Can't believe somebody would question you? That's insulting and wrong. You raise your kids as you see fit.

Funny story here. Met this Jewish family. And the teenage boy, was curious about the whole Santa thing.. When I told him, we had to use different wrapping paper, different tags, and tried to disguise our handwriting so the kids wouldn't notice.. He just got this big grin on his face, and was like, you do all that? yup we do.. lol

Quote:
Your child, your business. Ours were raised believing? in all the myths and grew to be intelligent free thinking adults. You raise yours as you choose, and I'm betting you will achieve the same results. Enjoy your children and teach them to be responsible, empathetic individuals. However you achieve that is your business.
hugs.gif

if you raise your child with lies then expect them to lie to you.

i dont lie to my children or hide anything from them. if they ask me a qestion i dont pussy foot around the answer i answer it to what i think they would understand but no lies!!

my husbands family dont feel the same way... for example my nephew was so scared of monkeys they told him a white monkey lived in the wood and would come and get him if he went in!!! what!! why would you tramatize a child to teach them a lesson?? why not tell him the truth BEAR, COUGERS, BOBCATS, MOOSE, they can be just as scary.. tell him the dangers of getting lost and not finding his way back..

your doing a good job.. starting him on the right track lies hurt even little white lies. GOOD FOR YOU!!!!
keep up the good work. when he grows up he will learn to trust in you because he knows you have never lied.

We're Buddhist but celebrate Xmas but we've always been a Santa-free house and it was absolutely the best decision. My kid is 16 and told me he never felt deprived and was glad we never lied to him. Of course, it made it easier since he was always afraid of clowns and to him, Santa Claus looked like a clown. I think he would have been nothing short of terrified if we told him Santa was going to magically get inside the house (to my urban kid that was nothing less than some guy dressed in weird clothes breaking in). Each family has their own unique ways of acknowledging and celebrating whatever holidays they choose.

I intend telling him that it is wrong to say anyone's beliefs aren't real, so hopefully the "santa's a nice story that a lot of people believe in at your age" will keep him from spoiling anyone else's year.

I'm not confrontational, I usually answer "merry Christmas" with a "you too " but if pushed I'll say that we will be having a good solstice rather than a good Christmas, but thank them for the good wishes. It's just driving me mad with being told I'm wrong.

my mother sent the toddler Christmas stockings two days after another run through of the same conversation... she doesn't listen. the kids next door will like them
smile.png
I bought them enough little gifts (just chocolate and an occasional small cheap toy) to wrap and number them as an advent calendar - just because we don't celebrate that festival doesn't mean I don't want theirs to be great
smile.png

Evelle..said
Today 4:24 pmif you raise your child with lies then expect them to lie to you.

i dont lie to my children or hide anything from them. if they ask me a qestion i dont pussy foot around the answer i answer it to what i think they would understand but no lies!!

my husbands family dont feel the same way... for example my nephew was so scared of monkeys they told him a white monkey lived in the wood and would come and get him if he went in!!! what!! why would you tramatize a child to teach them a lesson?? why not tell him the truth BEAR, COUGERS, BOBCATS, MOOSE, they can be just as scary.. tell him the dangers of getting lost and not finding his way back..

your doing a good job.. starting him on the right track lies hurt even little white lies. GOOD FOR YOU!!!!
keep up the good work. when he grows up he will learn to trust in you because he knows you have never lied.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

this is such BULL...everyone will lie at some point in their life!....and sometimes a White lie keeps you from feeling hurt.....evelle i hope you never have to ask someone how big your butt looks!!........
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom