Midwinter's Bath - Way too many pictures, don't click here if you don't want to see ducks.

love.gif

My Chrissy gurl is like that. I just adore her.... It's amazing how trusting they get.
Yeah, you are very lucky to have Chrissy! It takes a lot for a duck to be comfortable with a lot of contact, but if you put it the time, are worthy AND you have the right duck, they can get WAY past hand feeding. Casey will play with Yvonne where Yvonne will wiggle her finger around in front of Casey and Casey will bite at it and it is not in a defensive way at all, it is just play. Today I laid down over a pillow and was talking to her (she was about a foot away) and she walked up and put her chest up on the pillow right next to my face and turned her head and tucked it under her wing and took a short nap. That was her choice. Unfortunately we didn't get a picture of it as we didn't want to break the moment. I keep remarking that she is such an amazing gift. When we got Allie, Latte and Casey. Our intent was that we got Allie because we missed Snow and wanted a Pekin back in our flock. We got Latte because we had to get at least 2 ducklings to ship and we kind of wanted a Buff duck. We only got Casey because we had all of the other breeds Metzer offered (other than Mallards which are close enough to Rouens and can fly so we weren't interested in them) and figured why single out the KC as the only one we didn't get. (Also for this purpose, we didn't consider the hybrids or variations such as the Jumbo Pekin). So Casey was an afterthought, a duck we just figured why not. And from the very first day, she was a special duck:

Here's a little teaser: Casey is definitely the ham. She likes the Camera...

Even in this picture, when it was supposed to be all about Latte, there was Casey, being a little stinker and nibbling on Latte's toe.

Then she stole Yvonne's earring out of her ear,

beat up Tevye and Kaine.

And was the first one of the new ducks to get along with the flock.

Casey has been a VERY special duck and it is amazing to me that she was the only one that we didn't really have a desire to get. She was the last check box on the page, the whim, the shoulder shrugged "why not".

It shows that some of the best things we do have very little to do with us at all. Call it a higher power, call it luck, call it what you like: I am very happy we have Casey in our lives.

Last edited:
Yeah, you are very lucky to have Chrissy! It takes a lot for a duck to be comfortable with a lot of contact, but if you put it the time, are worthy AND you have the right duck, they can get WAY past hand feeding.  Casey will play with Yvonne where Yvonne will wiggle her finger around in front of Casey and Casey will bite at it and it is not in a defensive way at all, it is just play.  Today I laid down over a pillow and was talking to her (she was about a foot away) and she walked up and put her chest up on the pillow right next to my face and turned her head and tucked it under her wing and took a short nap.  That was her choice.  Unfortunately we didn't get a picture of it as we didn't want to break the moment.  I keep remarking that she is such an amazing gift.  When we got Allie, Latte and Casey.  Our intent was that we got Allie because we missed Snow and wanted a Pekin back in our flock.  We got Latte because we had to get at least 2 ducklings to ship.  We only got Casey because we had all of the other breeds Metzer offered (other than Mallards which are close enough to Rouens and can fly so we weren't interested in them) and figured why single out the KC as the only one we didn't get. (Also for this purpose, we didn't consider the hybrids or variations such as the Jumbo Pekin).  So Casey was an afterthought, a duck we just figured why not.  And from the very first day, she was a special duck:

Even in this picture, when it was supposed to be all about Latte, there was Casey, being a little stinker and nibbling on Latte's toe.

beat up Tevye and Kaine.

Casey has been a VERY special duck and it is amazing to me that she was the only one that we didn't really have a desire to get.  She was the last check box on the page, the whim, the shoulder shrugged "why not".

It shows that some of the best things we do have very little to do with us at all.  Call it a higher power, call it luck, call it what you like: I am very happy we have Casey in our lives.

Aww.... That is so special. :love

Ok, I actually let the phone record a little longer than the clip I posted and when I went through it, I thought I would share this frame. This shows how trusting a full grown outdoor duck (not every one) can be when you spend a lot of time with them. Granted she has been in the house for a while, but she is still an outdoor duck at heart.

How precious
love.gif
Opie is the same way. It's so special to have that kind of relationship with a duck.

Ok, I actually let the phone record a little longer than the clip I posted and when I went through it, I thought I would share this frame. This shows how trusting a full grown outdoor duck (not every one) can be when you spend a lot of time with them. Granted she has been in the house for a while, but she is still an outdoor duck at heart.
This is precious beyond words. Thank you for sharing it and the entertaining bio on Casey. We love her too. And the duckling pics. WAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH WHY ARE THEY SO CUTE?? BTW - that pic you have of duckling Allie in your hand was on my computer screen at work on Friday. Did lots of googley eyes at it.

Yeah, you are very lucky to have Chrissy! It takes a lot for a duck to be comfortable with a lot of contact, but if you put it the time, are worthy AND you have the right duck, they can get WAY past hand feeding. Casey will play with Yvonne where Yvonne will wiggle her finger around in front of Casey and Casey will bite at it and it is not in a defensive way at all, it is just play. Today I laid down over a pillow and was talking to her (she was about a foot away) and she walked up and put her chest up on the pillow right next to my face and turned her head and tucked it under her wing and took a short nap. That was her choice. Unfortunately we didn't get a picture of it as we didn't want to break the moment. I keep remarking that she is such an amazing gift. When we got Allie, Latte and Casey. Our intent was that we got Allie because we missed Snow and wanted a Pekin back in our flock. We got Latte because we had to get at least 2 ducklings to ship and we kind of wanted a Buff duck. We only got Casey because we had all of the other breeds Metzer offered (other than Mallards which are close enough to Rouens and can fly so we weren't interested in them) and figured why single out the KC as the only one we didn't get. (Also for this purpose, we didn't consider the hybrids or variations such as the Jumbo Pekin). So Casey was an afterthought, a duck we just figured why not. And from the very first day, she was a special duck:

beat up Tevye and Kaine.

Casey has been a VERY special duck and it is amazing to me that she was the only one that we didn't really have a desire to get. She was the last check box on the page, the whim, the shoulder shrugged "why not".

It shows that some of the best things we do have very little to do with us at all. Call it a higher power, call it luck, call it what you like: I am very happy we have Casey in our lives.

Casey sounds like such a great little duck! I love her (And that picture of Latte and Casey was so precious I love it too).
Casey beat up Kaine? What'd he have to say about that? Would that make Casey the leader duck?

Back
Top Bottom