Midwinter's Bath - Way too many pictures, don't click here if you don't want to see ducks.

It's so cool how attuned ducks are to the environment! They look for hawks, respond to different words and tones, and listen to music! And anyone who says ducks don't have different personalities has never owned a duck before
wink.png

How long has Casey been inside the house?
I just checked, she has been in the house since 12/11/16. And as far as different personalities. Hoooo boy yes! And we run the gamut here... Bullies, jerks, sweeties, champions, investigators, athletes, lazy ducks and Tevye (sorry Tevye, you're just not normal so the only description for you is Tevye... but we love you dearly.)

I just checked, she has been in the house since 12/11/16. And as far as different personalities. Hoooo boy yes! And we run the gamut here... Bullies, jerks, sweeties, champions, investigators, athletes, lazy ducks and Tevye (sorry Tevye, you're just not normal so the only description for you is Tevye... but we love you dearly.)

lau.gif
Tevye the Indescribable Duck.

Also I have a question about Rouens, since you have three of them, right? We're hoping to get three little ducklings soon, and I'm pretty sure I want a mixed flock this time. One WH, one Buff, and one....?
.... could either be a Rouen or Swedish. About the Rouen, because they're so heavy, are they lethargic, or have problems with her legs (Like Pekins, sometimes)? Or are they just like regular ducks, but with 1-2 more pounds of them to love
tongue.png
? They look stunning, and I'm almost positive I want one....

lau.gif
Tevye the Indescribable Duck.

Also I have a question about Rouens, since you have three of them, right? We're hoping to get three little ducklings soon, and I'm pretty sure I want a mixed flock this time. One WH, one Buff, and one....?
.... could either be a Rouen or Swedish. About the Rouen, because they're so heavy, are they lethargic, or have problems with her legs (Like Pekins, sometimes)? Or are they just like regular ducks, but with 1-2 more pounds of them to love
tongue.png
? They look stunning, and I'm almost positive I want one....
There are 2 kinds of Rouens:

According to Wikipedia:

In North America, two distinct types are bred: the common, or production-bred, variety that is larger than a Mallard but has a typical duck conformation, and the much larger and squarer standard-bred variety. The production variety normally weighs 6–8 lbs (2.7–3.6 kg) while the standard-bred weighs 9–12 lb (4.1–5.4 kg).

Ours are the production variety and are in the high 5 to low 6 lb range. They are the same size so are about the same as the rest of the ducks. I have no experience with the "Standard-bred" or "Exhibition-type" Rouens. I would guess due to their size they might be similar to Jumbo Pekins and have the same problems. Both of those breeds I personally would only get if I wanted them to eat (I know some people have them as pets with no problems, but it's kinda like breeding your own Crested ducks, odds are at least even that you could be in for heartbreak).

If you should decide Swedish, both of ours are really sweet with us. Greta is a horrible flock member though. She wants to bully everyone so Kaine beats her up and she is pretty much ostracized by the rest of the flock. We used to feel sorry for her until we saw how rotten she was to everybody else... Oh well, either she will learn or she won't. Between the black or blue, for you I would lean toward black because with a WH and a Buff, you already have that beautiful textured look with soft colors and although a blue is a different color, to me it is more like the WH and the Buff. You don't have a Cayuga in your flock and the beetle iridescent greens and blues and purples that come off a black duck are absolutely gorgeous so that would "add more" to your mixed flock in my opinion.

Last edited:
There are 2 kinds of Rouens:

According to Wikipedia:

In North America, two distinct types are bred: the common, or production-bred, variety that is larger than a Mallard but has a typical duck conformation, and the much larger and squarer standard-bred variety. The production variety normally weighs 6–8 lbs (2.7–3.6 kg) while the standard-bred weighs 9–12 lb (4.1–5.4 kg).

Ours are the production variety and are in the high 5 to low 6 lb range. They are the same size so are about the same as the rest of the ducks. I have no experience with the "Standard-bred" or "Exhibition-type" Rouens. I would guess due to their size they might be similar to Jumbo Pekins and have the same problems. Both of those breeds I personally would only get if I wanted them to eat (I know some people have them as pets with no problems, but it's kinda like breeding your own Crested ducks, odds are at least even that you could be in for heartbreak).

If you should decide Swedish, both of ours are really sweet with us. Greta is a horrible flock member though. She wants to bully everyone so Kaine beats her up and she is pretty much ostracized by the rest of the flock. We used to feel sorry for her until we saw how rotten she was to everybody else... Oh well, either she will learn or she won't. Between the black or blue, for you I would lean toward black because with a WH and a Buff, you already have that beautiful textured look with soft colors and although a blue is a different color, to me it is more like the WH and the Buff. You don't have a Cayuga in your flock and the beetle iridescent greens and blues and purples that come off a black duck are absolutely gorgeous so that would "add more" to your mixed flock in my opinion.

Yeah, when I first started researching Rouens, I quickly realized there were two types...Thankfully, Metzer's only sells the production variety.
Greta sounds like a very interesting duck! Hope she learns how to behave...

@Tevyes Dad , did you mean to name Casey what you did? I mean, she's a Khaki Campbell, often called KCs for short. And Casey is Pronounced KC, and Casey is a KC...
Casey the KC!

Back
Top Bottom