Might be a stupid question but.....

Chickens are highly wired to escape when in danger, it's been like this since they were in the jungle, it's embedded in their genes. Their instincts make them fly away when we try to hold them. I sit in a chair and wait for them to come to me, they sit in my lap, preen and nap but I never touch them because they will run away. I have learned to enjoy their company just by having them on my lap or shoulder. It is still very nice without having to pet them

Unlike many, I have the perception that chickens are smart. Obviously, like in humans, there are some smarter than others!! I have two birds in my flock, who come and sit on my lap, even when they know I don't have any treats. Others don't, or come only to check me out. Both enjoy petting and even "ask" for it, in their own way. When I let them free-range in the veggie garden, they spend quite a lot of time just following me around, watching what I am doing. They know perfectly well that stones, watering cans and hoes are not food! Lol... I feel they simply like being close to me. The smartest and most curious birds are usually the friendliest, or so it is in my coop...

Another interesting case is that of my Silkie hen, who doesn't like to be grabbed but makes daily exceptions to the rule, every time she finds an obstacle she can't overcome alone. For example, to reach her favorite spot on the perch at night, she calls me. To reach a particularly high leaf she wants to peck on, she calls me, etc. I have the impression that she actually developed a specific vocalization just for this purpose, because she never makes it for anything else. In these situations, she will make the sound; if I ignore her, she will come to me and make the sound louder; if I still ignore her, she will continue making the sound and start walking back and forth between me and the obstacle; when I finally grab her, she lets me.

My advice for you is to keep the routine, feed them by hand, never make sudden moves, pet them when you can, hold them at least once a day (even if you have to catch them: do it very calmly, but do it). Even the most shy will be calm at sundown, when they go on the perches, so use that moment to touch them. In time, you will know which ones enjoy it.

Thank you, everyone! I appreciate your responses. Hopefully over time my chickens will learn to trust me and calm down. I know it's possible because I know, see and hear of many people who are able to easily handle theirs. I also think chickens are smarter than some give them credit for! :weee

Back
Top Bottom