Might be getting Coturnix! Tips?

You won't have much luck adding younger and older birds together. There will be squabbles, some may be lethal. If a bird bleeds enough for the flock to notice the others will kill it IMMEDIATELY, so be aware of wounds among your flock. Experienced breeders can swap birds around a little but i caution against it until you understand the social structure and the way it operates among these birds.

Roosters can be thrown together in large groups as long as no hens are present or can be seen. I put roosters on the opposite side of my yard in a bachelor cage (waiting room for the skillet). Sometimes I have 30 or more roosters in the same cage.

It reaches 100 degrees where I live often during the summer. My quail have shade but that is there only protection from the heat. Younger birds are much more affected by the heat. When it comes to hatchlings they are really easy to cook with a heat lamp so I recommend having a dimmer on your brooder lamp.

1. Ok, I see. I have a few birds at home (no quail) and I usually integrate birds in by putting them in a medium sized cage until everyone is used to them. I just wasn't sure if that would work or not.

2. Interesting. That probably won't be an option, but I'll keep that in mind.

3. Alright, I'll remember that. Thanks!
smile.png

Last edited:
When integrate birds i keep them in a Cage in full view of the other birds when I actually add them I do it in the middle of the night when the birds are most docile and cannot see well. If you have a mild aggressor you can sometimes put him in a feed sack or burlap bag and spin it a few rotations until the bird is dizzy once there disoriented they lose their desire to fight. However I have more than a few birds that will tolerate no integration whatsoever. This is why I recommend being cautious and spending some time to understand thier social structure.

When integrate birds i keep them in a Cage in full view of the other birds when I actually add them I do it in the middle of the night when the birds are most docile and cannot see well. If you have a mild aggressor you can sometimes put him in a feed sack or burlap bag and spin it a few rotations until the bird is dizzy once there disoriented they lose their desire to fight. However I have more than a few birds that will tolerate no integration whatsoever. This is why I recommend being cautious and spending some time to understand thier social structure.

Ok, that makes sense. I'll keep an eye on them to see how they interact.

I'm also interested in making my own incubator. I can think of a few designs, but how would I regulate and measure humidity and temperature?

Welcome to the world of quail keeping! I'm sure you'll be very satisfied.

On the topic of introducing younger birds to older birds, I've tried it once with terrible results with the older birds trying to kill the younger, newly introduced bird. I was told that if the birds are introduced in an unfamiliar cage which neither of them occupy as a "territory", the introduction would go smoother. I have tried this with good results.

Although with a younger and older bird the "pecking order" will need to be sorted out which, in my experience, does involve some fighting but after a few days the quail live happily together.

Best of luck on your new adventure!

Welcome to the world of quail keeping! I'm sure you'll be very satisfied.

On the topic of introducing younger birds to older birds, I've tried it once with terrible results with the older birds trying to kill the younger, newly introduced bird. I was told that if the birds are introduced in an unfamiliar cage which neither of them occupy as a "territory", the introduction would go smoother. I have tried this with good results.

Although with a younger and older bird the "pecking order" will need to be sorted out which, in my experience, does involve some fighting but after a few days the quail live happily together.

Best of luck on your new adventure!

Thank you! I'll keep that in mind.

Back
Top Bottom