Might be getting Coturnix! Tips?

By the way, what do I use for banding them? Zip Ties?
Yes, I use different color zip ties that are small. I won't band a quail until it is at least 2 months old, and I make sure that I don't put it on too tight as they will be growing, and I don't want to injure the quail.
I hope this helps,
James

Ok, that works. And I've been wondering... Can I introduce a younger quail to an already established breeding group, or is it too dangerous?

Thats what I use , the small colored ones - I track my layers age that way- they are suppose to lay good for about 1 year then tapers off. so I use the ties to cull.

Thats what I use , the small colored ones - I track my layers age that way- they are suppose to lay good for about 1 year then tapers off. so I use the ties to cull.
Ok, thanks. I've read they're ok in cold weather, but how cold can you go? Also, if I were to introduce a younger quail to an already established group, how would I go about doing that?

They can take the cold! Just keep the wind off of them. The birds will ball up to keep warm. As far as when to add birds. Wait till there the same size & put them together. Keep the ratio right. Around three to one.

They can take the cold! Just keep the wind off of them. The birds will ball up to keep warm. As far as when to add birds. Wait till there the same size & put them together. Keep the ratio right. Around three to one.

Ok, thank you! So they'll be ok in below freezing weather? (the weather is weird this year)

Ok, thank you! So they'll be ok in below freezing weather? (the weather is weird this year)
Yup!! They will get in a corner & huddle if they get cold. I have a bunch of Bob Whites & they get in one corner all balled up & do fine. My coturnixs do the same. I usually never worry about the cold. Its the heat thats really hard on them. You will find out if you ever process your birds that they have a nice warm jacket on.

Yup!! They will get in a corner & huddle if they get cold. I have a bunch of Bob Whites & they get in one corner all balled up & do fine. My coturnixs do the same. I usually never worry about the cold. Its the heat thats really hard on them. You will find out if you ever process your birds that they have a nice warm jacket on.

That should be fine, then. How hot can they get? (the max we see here is 80, but that is incredibly rare)

You won't have much luck adding younger and older birds together. There will be squabbles, some may be lethal. If a bird bleeds enough for the flock to notice the others will kill it IMMEDIATELY, so be aware of wounds among your flock. Experienced breeders can swap birds around a little but i caution against it until you understand the social structure and the way it operates among these birds.

Roosters can be thrown together in large groups as long as no hens are present or can be seen. I put roosters on the opposite side of my yard in a bachelor cage (waiting room for the skillet). Sometimes I have 30 or more roosters in the same cage.

It reaches 100 degrees where I live often during the summer. My quail have shade but that is there only protection from the heat. Younger birds are much more affected by the heat. When it comes to hatchlings they are really easy to cook with a heat lamp so I recommend having a dimmer on your brooder lamp.

I've integrated birds a lot. I just make sure there the same size & the ratio is good. It gets very hot here. 100 degrees is not uncommon matter of fact its the norm.

Back
Top Bottom