might buy a turkey

I get the color not breeding true. It is similar with some of the blue/black/splash chickens. But to take a cross of a narragansett and royal palm no telling how many crosses or generations it took to get to a golden phoenix and then say that the golden phoenix offspring could produce both narragansett and royal palm that will breed true doesn't seem right. One tom should weigh around 22lbs the other 33. While the color would be correct the size wouldn't be right for either. I understand outcrosses will be made to increase color,size,shape,genetic diversity etc but after the cross is made you should breed back to standard. Everyone makes a point to say not to get heritage turkeys from a hatchery because they don't breed to standard. They say get them from a breeder. Now I have a breeder saying that many breeders including themselves don't breed to standard.

Quote:
I don't know who everyone is that your talking about? Did I missed the conversation about hatcherys?

First I should say I don't sell birds or eggs for any price. I don't buy them either. I just keep a very large population of turkeys in many colors because I enjoy it. I am a color breeder but size matters to me. Are you showing birds? If so stay with the 8 breeds in the standards. If you like color like many people do and want to keep some of the rarest and oldest breeds and also new colors then Porters site is a good place to get the genetics you need. He has some colors you don't see anywhere else. But you can also breed them yourself using the stardard breeds if you have the time (could take years) and you know genetics. I know because I have done it. I would be board crazy with just the stardard breeds if I did not cross them and have color. I have not even read the stardards in years. I bet most people have never read them. If your not showing or selling to 4 H kids then who cares.

Back
Top Bottom