Might get some Polish tomorrow - please tell me about them!!

I didn't get any... and now I really regret it - crap!!

I could have bought a really lovely buff laced girl, or a silver laced black... but at the time I didn't know where I would put whom as the coop is full, tension is high when new girls come in, and my 3 condos in the garage are already occupied - crap! I should have built another one for my polish!

My main priority for today was getting good egg layers and I had space for three girls, so I came home with an easter egger (my 2nd one! jackpot!), a buff orpington cross and a.... polish/leghorn mix, who's apparently an excellent layer!
big_smile.png

Here is Mina! The photos are horrible (small camera flash and a cramped space) and her tail is a little threadbare thanks to some bunnies chewing on it but she's a real cute girl, can't wait to see her free-ranging this summer!

DSC_0011-9.jpg

DSC_0008-6.jpg

DSC_0018-4.jpg

I'm starting my very first incubation on Wednesday, so if these girls lay any eggs between now and then they're all going in the 'bator!

The guy had about 15 hens in his coop, 2 gorgeous buff brahma roos and two beautiful SL polish roos - I can only imagine the mixes, LOL!

I may go back to get that buff laced polish girl...
roll.png

I'm in California!! I will be a breeder soon, I'm getting birds in a few weeks. They are show stock though. They will be laying fertile eggs for a while so I can sell you some eggs or chicks.

Also, one of my favorite things about Polish, along with what everybody else said, is that you can sex them at "birth." Their crest is an actual bone structure that protrudes out of the top of their skull and the shape of the bone is different for male versus female. The females are more flat and the males are more raised in the front. You'll see when you get chicks
smile.png

It is true that they are a little flighty, but its usually not extreme. If you handle them like with other birds, they will be okay with you picking them up. I have won many showmanship classes with Polish. They are a great breed.
big_smile.png

I only wish I weren't so far out east... and in Canada!

I don't think we're allowed to import eggs, only chicks and that's if we drive to get them on the other side of the border and pay for a license for importation, etc... sooo crappy. Your birds sound amazing!!

Yeah you should have gotten some. I came home really late last night and saw this thread but thought "Naah, she wouldn't see this reply. . ." - Anyway, what I would have said is that I have four Polish, currently: 3 White Crested Black, and 1 Silver Laced. The silver laced, because she was picked on so much as a chick, isn't very outgoing - She kinda spends time to herself, and is sweet, yes, but is just kind of "closed" and distant. She mainly cares about food and a place to lay her egg.

My white crested blacks, however, are wonderful! Even though they are "ornamental" birds, they lay just as much as our Wyandottes (every day) and aren't as "blind and dumb" as a lot of people say. They're extremely friendly (my favorite, Rix, comes up to anyone and allows them to pick her up, handle her, feed her, etc. ) and very hardy! I once had two of mine lost in our endless forests out here for over 2 weeks!! Somehow, after all that (rain, wind, more rain. . .) a distant neighbor called up and asked about a strange looking bird. Turns out, it was our Polish - So I went off to pick 'em up, and immediately fed and watered them.

Ever since then, they are the sweetest of all my chickens!! Yes, in places like here where it rains and rains and rains and rains - I have to tie up their crests in the winter, then clip them a little in the spring so they can see better, but that's about it.

I have a friend who breeds SQ birds and he has some LF golden-laced polish... I will have to wrangle a couple from him when I have more space in the coop, I just fell in love with the breed. Sigh.

I actually happen to have 7 SQ w/c black polish eggs in the incubator due to hatch on Easter....would you be interested if I could ship you the chicks???

Back
Top Bottom