Might have a squab!

Kleonaptra

Songster
7 Years
Oct 3, 2012
Western Sydney, Australia
Hi all,

I have a male common pigeon and and indian fantail female. For about 5 years they have successfully murdered every egg they laid. Once they hatched a squab, I did 3 hr feeds for 3 days and the little tyke died - he either got trampled by them or pulled thru the wire by a rat but I gave him my best try anyway.

Recently I got an incubator for my duck eggs and thought what the hey, I'll throw the pigeon eggs in too. Saturday will be 18 days but it looks like one's hatching NOW! Theres a small crack in the egg and its shifting a bit. Ive got my nest ready - a small cardboard box with a hot water bottle - and Im ready for 4 days of intensive squab care. Any advice would be welcome. I usually give my young birds a slush of farax (baby cereal) with a few mitavite pellets mixed in - mitavite is an easily digestable horse feed pellet. Ive raised many young birds on it in the past as it has vitamin and minerals plus a big protien hit. I make my mix very watery so they can just drink a few sips and get lots of nutrients from it.

Oh bad idea bad idea
There's a reason people don't hatch squabs and let the parents do it.
You can try - and I wish you best of luck - but in the first few days their most likely to die, even the most experienced and determined breeders have issues saving squabs so young.
If your little mixture has worked before, then go for it, otherwise I'd reccommend kaytee exact.
I hope you have a heat pad.

Best of luck, but don't get your hopes up, if you want baby pigeons I'd suggest you get a pair of better parents.

Thanks!

Ive done bird rescue for about 10 years so Im confident with the basics of heating and feeding. Some of the littler birds require 20 min feeds.. Ive read squabs are critical for the first 4 days and require 3 hr feeds at minimum, would this be correct? If Im getting up every 3hrs to feed then changing the hot water bottle wont be a problem. My feed mixture has worked cross species, wild doves, sparrows, ducks, geese. Its very similar to a layer pellet.

Yes my pigeons are morons when it comes to being parents...I have a very pregnant horse right now, and an incubator full of duck eggs, I knew it would be the squab that came first!

Thanks for the wish of good luck...Very grumpy and tired me will need it soon I think!

I seem to be waiting awhile for further news from this egg. Noticed the small crack about mid egg at 11am today,(7 hours ago now) I assume this little crack is at the wide end of the air sac. Its nothing like the outward 'chip' you get on a duck egg. Theres another spot further up that looks weak too. Sometimes the egg does a little wobble. Wait. Sigh.

Thanks so much for that, I actually did read her thread yesterday.

Anyway, its a false alarm for now. Had a close look at the egg this morning with my glasses on and theres no pip, what I thought was a crack was a little watermark.

They are still due in a couple of days so I'll keep you posted.

I believe pigeons hatch in 18 days... Maybe 21, like chickens, but its not long, and will hatch much sooner then the ducks.

I did 3 hour feedings with my pigeon. As he gets older, you'll notice he might stop eating as well, and that should be cue to feed t 4 hour, 5 hour, etc. intervals.

Best of luck ! :)

Saturday morning, DEFINITE pip! Right on time! Very exciting, first hatch in my new incubator!

The drama is, Im about to head off for my 10hr shift at work so I'll be gone all day. If the little guy takes all day to hatch that will be fine, I'll have my partner keep an eye on him but my partner is not confident. He has fed little birds for me before but he's not great at things like hatch helping, just has no experience. So hopefully the little one will be all well until I get home.

I can see movement at the little crack, really exciting! hopefully he will take his time absorbing yolk and getting out of the egg, at least he will be nice and warm in there. I'll set up brooding nest and feed him as soon as I get back, if he's out by then of course.

Back
Top Bottom