Might have to cull, is there anything else i can do first??

koakritters

Songster
8 Years
Jan 27, 2011
Petaluma
I have 2 chicks with problems that are not getting better.

the first is my one with splayed legs, i've got it in hobbles and in a box by itself so it doesn't get trampled. i've been putting it in a cup for 15 min at a time to make it stand straight up, everything that i've read you can do for it, but the thing is not getting better at all. I think maybe it's hips have problems or something. it's been 4 days now with no getting better.

then i've got a chick that can't opens it's eyes, they are almost swollen shut. I clean them out and it can open them for a bit, then they get stuck closed and it just sits there. It won't eat or drink if its eyes are not open, and when it does drink it dips its beak too far into the water- Tiny beak!!!- and then starts coughing like its got water in its lungs. ive put this one in the box with the other now so they can hang out together...

i really don't want to have to cull them, i don't even know how i would... HELP!
hit.gif

both were born may 26

isn't slick bedding supposed to cause splayed legs? i know it has something to do with the floor when they are chicks.

it can be that or it can be from when they are in the incubator, mine are all in a couple inches of shavings which is what it says to do, so i hope that helps..

got some, although i don;t think she's gonna make it. she's so weak, won't eat, won't drink, won't swallow anything i try to syringe into her...

I have a splay legged little girl, 7 and 1/2 weeks old at this time.

She was having alot of problems with her legs, until I took her and one other little girl out of the main pack and put them in a cage that had a hardware cloth wire floor to it.

Normally I don't like to use hardware cloth wire floors, but it did a world of wonder for Ms. SplayLeg. After two weeks in that cage, she is walking almost normal, and can even run some.

I am really glad I decided to try that cage before culling her. I'm hoping that if she lives in that cage a bit longer, that she might have strong enough legs to integrate her and her companion back into the General Population.

BTW, before you ask -- I pulled out a second chicken to put in there with Ms. SplayLeg because I didn't want her to have to live alone. It's cruel to isolate chickens by themselves, IMHO.

I have a dog crate with a plastic bottom on it, if i put down a towel to cover the entire bottom would that work? And of course a friend, they just scream and scream without one!
smile.png
she's doing a tiny tiny bit better, the legs now try to turn backwards instead of sideways... so at least we're starting to get away from the sideways thing!
hu.gif

You know those rubbery, basket-weave-like mats that can be used around the kitchen (eg. putting under a plastic container so it doesn't slip)?
Those make great anti-splay flooring for chicks. And they can be washed and re-used
smile.png
Hope the chicks turn out okay

Back
Top Bottom