Mild bullying toward less mature chicken

Oct 2, 2020
My youngest chicken that used to get bullied often has grown much more mature recently (more prominent features than most of the flock) and is starting to every now and then chase one of the older chicken (who is very afraid of the youngest hen) and occasionally feather peck.

Is this something I should worry about or just let play out? it has been a couple weeks that this has been going on and the issue is only with those two chicken.

Also, is it something to worry that one of my chicken that is around 25 weeks old has not developed particularly prominent features yet?

If it's mild bullying and the lower ranked bird isn't injured and can still eat, drink, and roost without issue, then it's not a problem and I'd leave it alone.
There is no clear injury, but the dominant chicken will sometimes peck at the lower’s feet when roosting or just chase and peck at random (sometimes, rarely, pulling out a full feather).

Also, for more background, these two fought quite a bit around 3 weeks ago, and the lower chicken at the time was heavily pecking the now dominant one. Oddly the roles suddenly changed dramatically. Could this clue into anything?

If they're not bleeding or being actively stripped of feathers I wouldn't consider it a big issue.

My guess is they've been having pecking order spats and now the tables are turned. They may continue to scuffle on and off to sort things out, especially since they're still young.

Back
Top Bottom