Mildew and mold: HELP!

Quillgirl

Songster
10 Years
Aug 2, 2009
Metro Atlanta
We are having the most extreme wet weather following 4 years of drought. Most everything is beginning to mildew, including the inside walls of the coop. Not really sure how to get around this as the air is at 90-100% humidity over the last 7 days. The coop is ventilated well, but there is still mildew on the walls. I sprayed everything with diluted chlorine and wiped down, but I expect the mildew to return shortly if the air doesn't dry out.

What do I look for in the chickens if they show signs of mildew sickness? They are staying outside when they can, but can't stay out all the time!

Last edited:
I'm hoping to get info from some Seattle area folks! I'm betting they have experience with mildew and mold problems...
wink.png

Another thing to try, I don't know if it will work for you... but when I lived in Oregon, everything molded.

I was always sick! Then I read about using vinegar to kill mold. So I sprayed it everywhere when I cleaned and used it in the laundry.

It literally killed the mold and took the stains away from my mattress (when i went to turn the mattress I actually had mold between the mattress and box spring on my NEW mattress)

I am a firm believer in vinegar. I used white, but I am sure ACV would work too.

Oh my gosh! Can you believe this rain we are having.
th.gif
I live about 40 min north of Atlanta and I feel like my chickens are going to start melting soon.
hit.gif
I told my husband yesterday that if they make it through this with all their feathers and skin in tact we'll be doing good. I am starting to show signs of mold inside the coop also not to mention water seeping through the batten on board siding that we used. My chickens are now the same color as the lovely Ga red clay we have. They get wet then under the front porch for a fine dusting of red clay!
barnie.gif
I normally get 7 eggs a day from my 8 hens and yesterday I only got 2!
hu.gif
I think the rain is driving them crazy too. On a positive note our lake is full again.
hmm.png

The Lake is full?! You mean Lanier? We have a place near 6 mile creek...

I just put a plastic tarp over the run to try to give the girls more incentive to stay outside. The run is on a thick layer of sand and composted leaf-litter so no red chickens. I'm just worried about mildew spores and cocci in the mud.

We have a 3 acre lake-pond on our property that by the end of August can look a little worse for wear. Today it's clear (no film on the surface) and brimming full!

Hey guys, I live in Hall county and I feel so bad for my critters. My goats haven't come out since last Monday and I'm beginning to see some mold in their box. I go out to feed them and they just look at me with big sad eyes.
hit.gif
Poor goaties. Both my chicken pens have standing water in some places. Thankfully, they get let out in the AM and they don't mind getting wet. It stinks so bad back there I'm afraid my neighbors will start to complain. It will take WEEKS for it all to dry out but guess what, the forecast calls for rain all next week too.

Quote:
Seattle here.
cool.png
Interesting to note that more sunglasses are sold here.
I don't know if we'll have the answer, but I'll give it a shot. Even though Seattle gets lots of drizzle, rain, and gray days, we don't usually get the humidity that you get. I have had leather shoes mold in the closet, and once found a 2 ft tall carpet mushroom growing behind a plant in my bedroom.
roll.png

I have a rubbermaid coop so no issue with mold there. My garden shed is old and wooden, no mold there either, but it is well ventilated with three windows only covered with wire. My deck does grow mold and algae, even though I wash and bleach it and restain it with oil stain annually.
So about your coop- Is it painted? seems like some paints encourage the growth of mold. There are primers and paints designed to kill mold growth.
Can you put a heater or fan in the coop to keep it dry and ventilated during your wet weather?
My dad has had good luck using those chemical dehydrators, in his boat to keep the mold from growing on the canvas. And he lives in a wetter climate than either of us. Good luck -hope this helps.

Imp-the mold on the deck matches the moss in the lawn and on the roof.

Back
Top Bottom