Mildred is gone

horsejody

Squeaky Wheel
11 Years
Feb 11, 2008
Waterloo, Nebraska
We lost Mildred, my Marek's survivor. We didn't see it happen, but a neighbor saw another neighbor's dog running loose through the yard. Since it was hot, most of the the chickens were lounging under the cedar, in the lilacs or in the coop. Mildred likes to hide her eggs and was in the tree line. We found the awful sight of feathers strewn everywhere right next to a little hidden clutch of eggs. The dogs were running on anothers neighbor's property too. He took at shot at one but missed. These dogs used to be a problem but have not been loose since last year. They finally got the message from the law that they had to keep the dogs in. The dogs were loose at least 3 times last year and during those times they killed a pomeranian, seriously injured a mixed breed (4 digit vet bill) and were caught attacking a Lhasa Apso. The attack on the Lhasa was stopped soon enough that his injuries were not life threatening. He had two bad bites and bruising that took a long time to heal. In Nebraska that qualifies a dog as dangerous, and requires the owner to maintain it in an inescapable fence and have warning signs posted. The people have done well keeping the dogs in since then. However, they have an adult daughter that seems to think that the dogs' rights are some how violated if they are confined, and she is just sure that they are so good they can be trusted now. It appears she was visiting. It's too bad the dogs weren't shot or caught. It's a felony offense if a dog already deemed dangerous is running at large. I have made my feelings known. I can't prove that their dog killed Mildred, but all stray dogs I catch on my property will be shot.

And before the "chickens only belong in a pen" crowd comes along and says that the dogs were just doing what comes naturally, please be aware that I don't think Mildred would have lived as ling as she did confined. She pulled through Marek's, and I honestly believe that being able to run loose in the grass and sunshine when she was in remission was the best medicine for her. She limped, but she was strong and healthy. I think she would have died a long time ago if she had spent her days penned up.

hit.gif
:aww

Oh, goodness. How heartbreaking for you, having gone through Marek's and surviving, and then the kicker, to be setting on some eggs! I'm so sorry to hear about your loss!
hugs.gif

I figure that fencing one's animals - or not - is a matter of personal preference in the country. What is the main issue is that the animals remain on one's own property, whatever method is used. Those dog owners clearly violated that basic principle (LAW in most places), and that's completely unacceptable.

Sorry that happened, esp. after all your hen went through.
sad.png

So sorry to hear about Poor Mildred!
hit.gif
You said you made your feelings known,does that mean you talked to the owners about their lovely daughter?
barnie.gif
Are you going to try and hatch any of her eggs? Good luck, if you do!

That is so awful for her to make it through something like Marek's, then have something like that happen. I hope you are able to get the dog before it does more damage to your flock, or someone else's pets.

Are you going to turn them in? I know you said there was no "proof" it was them, but if the neighbors saw the dogs running loose and told you, seems like they should have told the police or AC, too.

Again, sorry to hear about Mildred. :aww

Shelly

Quote:
The neighbors have been notified in person and in writing that their dogs are the prime suspect and will be shot if seen on the property. No, we are not going to hatch her eggs. Unfortunately, Mareks severely effects a bird's fertility level. Law enforcement can't do anything at this point because there is no evidence that the dogs were loose or that they killed Mildred. We would need a dog carcass, a captured live dog or a photo to prove they were loose. I think that the people will try to keep the dogs locked up, but they are marshmallow heads. They also know their daughter is an idiot. The daughter has been a problem before. We had to call the sheriff in the past because she used to let her husky out to run loose. The dogs they have now are Rhodesian Ridgebacks. They have quite a few, but only 2 were loose. The holiday weekend is over so the daughter will be gone again. Thank God for that.

Oh, dear, Ridgebacks are sight hounds and prime to chase animals. I love them, but that is one breed of dog that must be contained! I'm so sorry about poor Mildred. And Jody, when you hear someone say they were only doing what comes naturally, you can polish your gun in front of them and say, "So will I next time they come on my property, so will I". Way too many of these stories lately, just way too many.

Even after all my mess, i totally don't fault the dogs. The owners are idiots, and will pay if their dog is caught. I'm so sorry about Mildred
sad.png
I wish there was some way to give the chickens freedom and have them safe at the same time. I'm working on inventing movement triggered laser cannons targeted to dog DNA for the edges of my property.
lol.png
I'll let you know when they're done.

If you need some test subjects while the cannon is in development, let me know. I'll send a couple of dogs down. Maybe we could set it to bad dog owner DNA.

Back
Top Bottom