Mildred's bleached feathers

newbyduckmom

Songster
8 Years
Jul 18, 2011
Snohomish County, WA
Mildred, my terribly patient Khaki Campbell, who has been plagued with Bumble foot for the last month is starting to show something odd. Her flight feathers at the tips of her wings are bleaching out. They have turned from dark brown to a very light tan in the last week. She had always had lighter feathers there, but this is a dramatic difference. She's been on baytril for the last two weeks for the bumblefoot (which continues to persist and the antibiotics are almost gone - although there is much less swelling and just a pink prick of the scab left). I am wondering if the antibiotics could have caused the feathers to fade or what else could cause sure a thing? She doesn't appear to be losing any feathers or molting. Just the change in color. We have had three days of sun for the first time in months, but this has happened very quickly. She is very active, eating,drinking, laying eggs, and seemingly acting normal.

Mildred, my terribly patient Khaki Campbell, who has been plagued with Bumble foot for the last month is starting to show something odd. Her flight feathers at the tips of her wings are bleaching out. They have turned from dark brown to a very light tan in the last week. She had always had lighter feathers there, but this is a dramatic difference. She's been on baytril for the last two weeks for the bumblefoot (which continues to persist and the antibiotics are almost gone - although there is much less swelling and just a pink prick of the scab left). I am wondering if the antibiotics could have caused the feathers to fade or what else could cause sure a thing? She doesn't appear to be losing any feathers or molting. Just the change in color. We have had three days of sun for the first time in months, but this has happened very quickly. She is very active, eating,drinking, laying eggs, and seemingly acting normal.
Drugs do have side affects so may be some research into Baytril will give you your answer. I am happy to hear she is doing better..

You say she hasn't been out in the sun much? that will bleach out colors on birds. I don't know what could be causing the bleached feathers. I wish i could help.

Found this resource re: administering Baytril to Poultry. The comment about effects to humans don't have me feeling too comfortable. Nothing about bleached feathers that I can find.

https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/medicine-chart/baytril-for-birds

I just read that, it's just like most meds, the cure can kill you before the disease does.

Last edited:
My Khaki females always change colors every year. At first they only changed when the weather was hot and they spent a lot of time in the sun, but now as they get older I've noticed that the color fade doesn't always coincide with the season (but our weather has been very shifty the past year). I know they are supposed to naturally fade from the darker colors of the fall and winter to the light "khaki" color in the spring and summer to match the bushes they should be hiding in ... maybe the recent bit of sun she's gotten has just triggered it early in her?

Does she seem normally healthy otherwise, excluding the bumble foot?

Yes, she does. Happy, healthy, and ornery! And Mocha has faded somewhat too. Just not as drastically. Both had been on the antibiotics, but now that I think about it. They had faded some last summer too. Thanks for the post. One less thing to worry about!

Back
Top Bottom