1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Milk Jug Waterer Help

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by CK Chickadilly, Mar 18, 2009.

1. CK Chickadilly

CK Chickadilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    My 2 little ducklings don't get it.....I had a chick waterer in their brooder but now the little stinkers are growing & playing in the water more so I made the milk jug waterer & they just have no clue how to use it.....Any ideas?? Will they figure it out sooner or later? [​IMG]

2. raindrop

raindrop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2008
    Western Oregon
    Have you tried floating some grass clippings on the surface of the water?

3. CK Chickadilly

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    That is a great idea, I wish we had some green grass but the snow just melted & it hasn't turned green yet. I will float some lettuce, they like that. Thanks for the idea. [​IMG]

4. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    you can also force their heads by the water (without hurting them of course). If you get their beaks into the water they quickly learn where the water is.

5. kwack

kwack Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2009
    Delaware County
    I'm contemplating the same method - do you have pics? Let us know how it turns out.
    [​IMG]

6. CK Chickadilly

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    It worked....I added some lettuce & they figured it out & it sure cuts down on the mess! [​IMG] YaY!

[​IMG]

7. kwack

kwack Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2009
    Delaware County
    [​IMG]
    Glad to hear they figured it out. I'm two weeks from my first hatch and I already have my milk jug holes cut out.... impatience. I made the holes a lot smaller. I'll have to trim them some more. I'm afraid of finding a little ducky stuck in the jug.

8. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Just a note - next time cut the hole just big enough for them to get their head in. Any bigger and you are going to find one of them in the jug and it can't get out. lol

9. CK Chickadilly

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    [​IMG] I did have the hole cut smaller but they just couldn't figure it out. I tried to gently put their heads in there but they were just freaked out over the whole concept. So I made the hole bigger just to get them used to it. I could see they want to get in there but they are to big actually...but I bet they could figure out a way to get in [​IMG] Next one will have the smaller opening now that they are used to it. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by