MILK SNAKES! AHHHH maybe graphic

As an RN in a rural hospital, I have taken care of plenty of copperhead and rattlesnake bites. I can see what they can do. Yes, they eat mice, but we keep our yard cut low and keep everything is sealed containers so mice usually aren't a problem. I also have a mealworm farm to feed to my chicks. Everyone has the right to THEIR own opinion and view. Personally, I kill every snake that I see. I have the right to protect me, my family and our pets. Just because you choose NOT to kill snakes does not make you better or worse. You just have a different view. Let the issue go. Agree to disagree !!!

Today I saw a small milksnake in my ducklings pen it was maybe 10-12 inches. My brother and I killed because we have seen how big they get, around 4 ft. We have a few questions. Would a milk snake be able to kill a 3 week old duckling? Are milksnakes venomous? and how can we get rid of them?
We had a milk snake in the 6 week old chicks run(we just moved them outside a day ago) and it was striking at the chicks and trying to kill them. it was fairly large (about a foot and a half) and very agressive for some reason(no it was not a copperhead) and we had to kill it with an axe. PS if this happens to you i recomend chopping its head clean off and clearing the area, most snake's heads will continue to bite even after it is severerd. I have a lot of experiance handling snakes and in the adreniline rush i somehow forgot to watch where I placed my feet(i was only wearing flipflops) and i got bit. And yes a milk snake will kill 3 week old ducklings.

Milk snakes look a little bit like timber rattlers. Make sure of what you handle, to avoid nasty surprises. Not all rattlers have a rattle--they may have lost it. Check the shape of the head--if it is more or less of the same diameter as the body and rounded, it's a harmless snake. If it is angular and shaped like an arrowhead, beware! Here in Alabama we have lots of snakes, of which 6 species are venomous: timber rattlers, diamondback rattlers, pygmy rattlers, coral snakes, copperheads, and moccasins. The last three species have no rattles.

Back
Top Bottom