Milky Poo, Help!!

HaleyM

In the Brooder
Dec 27, 2015
Sonoma County, California

Hi, I have seen the chicken poo chart but can't decide for myself if this is normal. I have 11 hens, all around 11 weeks old. Barred rocks and Austros. I didn't see which girl dropped this milky mess but no one seems sick or off. I've noticed some watery poo on the poo tray in the morning for the past few days now. Getting worried. What do you think?

Thank you for the reply. My problem is that I cannot figure out which one is leaving the watery poo. I have 11 of them, 6 barred rocks and 5 Austros and I've never caught them in the act. I'll watch tonight, who is where on their roosts because I've been seeing watering poo on the poo tray in the morning. Oh dear, I hope this isn't anything serious. Thanks again for the help.

No problem! I had to spend some time with them in the run to catch them pooping. I was very concerned but it has mostly all worked out. Make sure you read to the last page because we ended up coming to the conclusion that it is not serious(hopefully).

Sometimes it can just be because they have had too much liquid mine get it after eating watermelon but it is gone after a day or two, or has this been more of an ongoing problem?

Sometimes it can just be because they have had too much liquid mine get it after eating watermelon but it is gone after a day or two, or has this been more of an ongoing problem?

It seems to be fairly new. I had been noticing some runny poo on the poo tray in the morning after they had roosted all night but I put PDZ down which soaks it up so I couldn't get a good look at it. I took the picture today and was the first one like that I've noticed outside their coop. I just went out and looked around the yard and found this other weird poo...

The little bits that look like cat litter in the 2nd picture is the PDZ but the poo was huge and had a bit of thick, dark tar looking substance on the top. Ahhh, I'm new at chicken care and I'm totally freaked out that one of them is sick. I have not noticed any listlessness or lethargic behavior and I just went out and filled up their feeder and everyone ate and drank fine.

Last edited:
That almost looks like blood on the top..... It also looks like it could be a predators poo-was there any digging/anything that could indicate that? Definitely add 1 tsb. of Apple cider vinegar to a gallon of water and see if that helps.

Go up at roosting time and get them all situated before you turn out lights, know who is where, and then check on them first thing in the morning. You will know how is pooping what.

Liquid white thin poop can be caused from being chilled, not eating enough, stress, diet or illness. Coccidiosis can cause thin watery poop and sometimes, but not always, they pass blood as well. Cocci will cause them to stop eating and drinking. So while you are up at the coop at roosting time, check all crops to make sure everybody is eating. Run you hand down the right side of the breast and crops should be full at roosting time. If not, the bird is either ill or is being bullied away from food and water.

So whom ever is pooping this thin white poop, my make sure they are eating.

@TwoCrows thank you kindly for the advice. My girls eat organic feed which I leave in their coop all day for easy access. I don't think they are stressed or cold. I live in Northern California where it only gets down to the low 50s upper 40s. They are in a coop inside my barn. I'm out with the girls 5 or 6 times in a day and I never see any bullying but maybe that's different when they are eating. I did notice them snacking on a sorghum plant yesterday and upon closer inspection the sorghum had a few moldy leaves. I immediately dug it up threw it out. Could that have anything to do with the troublesome poos? Also, my girls, especially my barred rocks aren't quite used to me yet. I've only had them for about a month so it maybe be difficult for me to pick them up and check their crops but I will do my darndest.

Last edited:
@TwoCrows thank you kindly for the advice. My girls eat organic feed which I leave in their coop all day for easy access. I don't think they are stressed or cold. I live in Northern California where it only gets down to the low 50s upper 40s. They are in a coop inside my barn. I'm out with the girls 5 or 6 times in a day and I never see any bullying but maybe that's different when they are eating. I did notice them snacking on a sorghum plant yesterday and upon closer inspection the sorghum had a few moldy leaves. I immediately dug it up threw it out. Could that have anything to do with the troublesome poos? Also, my girls, especially my barred rocks aren't quite used to me yet. I've only had them for about a month so it maybe be difficult for me to pick them up and check their crops but I will do my darndest.
Anything moldy can cause diarrhea and if they eat enough of it, they can pick up a fungal infection.

How are they doing today? Just keep an eye on things. Find out who is putting out this diarrhea by knowing who roosts where and check on them first thing in the morning. Keep them away from things that they might be getting into for a few days and see if the poop doesn't return to normal. If this bird or others are still putting out this diarrhea in a couple of days, you might want to get some Corid in their water, just in case she or the others are developing Coccidiosis. You can get Corid at the feed store, or any product with Amprolium in it.

Keep us posted!

Back
Top Bottom