Milky white poop and she's lethargic

Taking her or some of her poop to a vet would be the best thing to do if you can afford to.

FYI, not all egg bound hens do the "egg stance", so you really should check her for that. Heck, it's easy enough, right? If she were mine that's were I would start. From there I would do the following:

• Weigh - a *normal* sized two year old hen should weigh no less than 6.6 pounds (3kg). Most of mine weigh over 7.5 pounds.
  • Tube fluids - Most sick birds will be dehydrated and that is probably part of the reason you are seeing the white poop. Tube 15 ml per pound, then repeat in 60-90 minutes if crop has mostly cleared.
  • Worm with Safeguard or Valbazen
  • Treat for coccidiosis with Corid.

The Safeguard dose I use is 0.23 ml per pound orally for five consecutive days. So for a 6.6 pound hen that would be 1.5 ml. That dose for five days will treat:
  • Roundworms
  • Cecal worms
  • Gapeworms
  • Capillary worms
  • Possible some species of tapeworms

The Valbazen dose I would use is 0.08ml per pound once and repeat in ten days. So for a 6.6 pound hen that would be 0.53 ml. That dose for five days will treat:
  • Roundworms
  • Cecal worms
  • Capillary worms
  • Possible some species of tapeworms

Other things I would consider treating for are blackhead, enteritis from clostridium and E. Coli. This is where having a vet evaluate her poop would be really helpful. Drugs that I would use are:

• Metronidazole for blackhead
  • Metronidazole for clostridium
  • Baytril for E. coli

Supplies for supportive care:
  • Tube - 18" of aquarium air line - Petsmart
  • Kaytee Baby bird food - Petsmart
  • Pedialyte - Any store that sells infant food
  • 60 ml syringe - Tractor supply

Aquarium air line *must* be modified by melt one end with a lighter to make it smooth enough that it won't cut their esophagus or crop when inserted. I am available by phone to teach you how to tube.

Hope this helps,
Kathy

Last edited:
If she is of laying age then I am with Kathy on the eggbound train. Sometimes the first one is a doozy. What screams egg problem to me is that she's wanting to stay in the nest. Unless she usually sleeps there instead of roosting I say you'll have an egg soon- perhaps even if you have to assist.

It was my understanding that the white in chicken poo is the "pee" and the dark is the "poo". You could definitely research it to be sure. Wouldn't that mean she's drinking but possibly not eating? Just do an all over check- crop especially. I'm not in the same league As Kathy in that I don't do modern day vet it up but she's pretty good at what she does!

If she is of laying age then I am with Kathy on the eggbound train. Sometimes the first one is a doozy. What screams egg problem to me is that she's wanting to stay in the nest. Unless she usually sleeps there instead of roosting I say you'll have an egg soon- perhaps even if you have to assist.
And there is no good reason that I can think of to *very gently* insert a lubed, gloved finger to check for an egg. Most of the time I can feel them in at 1/2" in.

-Kathy

It was my understanding that the white in chicken poo is the "pee" and the dark is the "poo". You could definitely research it to be sure. Wouldn't that mean she's drinking but possibly not eating? Just do an all over check- crop especially. I'm not in the same league As Kathy in that I don't do modern day vet it up but she's pretty good at what she does!
I've been doing some experiments with hydration and I think that their white "pee" is much like when mammals pee bright yellow. I've also read that there are some diseases that can cause them to pass white dropping, but I can't remember what they are.

-Kathy

"White cap in chicken poop is urates- equivalent of chicken pee" ...first thingthat popped up when googling'what is white part of chicken poop.' Totally not trying to hijack here but could be a clue as to what is going on with his/her girl
1f60a.png

I did check with my finger and felt nothing I deepened with safeguard and now that I'm watching her walk around the yard her wings are drooping a little there not tucked up like my other peahens

I let them all out and again today she's laying in the sun while the rest are out and about eating playing and what not she also has a little bit of green flakes in her poop

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom