mille fleur d'uccle?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ksct, Oct 16, 2009.

1. ksct

ksct Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    upstate, NY
    Can anyone tell and show what mille fleur d'uccles look like (maybe age progression), temperment, size, egg color, broodiness etc?

2. bibliophile birds

bibliophile birds Chillin' With My Peeps

i saw that you had posted about several different breeds. have you checked out FeatherSite? it has information on tons of breeds and lots of pictures of the different color varieties. it helped me lots when i was deciding what to get recently.

also check the Handy-Dandy Chicken Chart which has information on more than 60 breeds. this will show you production numbers, egg size and color, broodiness, behavior and rarity.

as for the d'Uccles, here is their FeatherSite link.

the Chicken Chart says:

Belgian D'Uccle or Barbu d'Uccle

colors: Mille Fleur, Porcelain, Black, Buff, White, Blue Mottled, Splash, Golden Neck, others

First bred in Uccle (Belgium) before 1900 by Michel Van Gelder. Breed is often referred to simply as Mille Fleur, the most popular variety.

fair layer; creamy white eggs, tiny

small single comb with large spikes; white skin & shanks, white earlobe

great brooder (or annoyingly too frequent brooder); hardy; because of fancy feathering, not suited for foul weather; very slow to mature for full coloring; tolerates confinement; fliers; calm, cocks less aggressive than other banties​

3. ksct

Apr 23, 2009
    upstate, NY
    i had not heard of that site. I will check it out. I appreciate the help! I am trying to figure out what type of chicks to get in the spring. I don't like to post 100 threads asking the same thing but i know everyone here loves their birds etc. i'll look. thanks!

4. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    I have two Millie Fleur d'Uccle hens that are a year and a half old. They are sweet little birds that go broody quite often. Their egg laying is not very dependable and both of mine have stopped laying for the time being. Their eggs are cream colored and small, but the yolks are surprising large, IMO. Here are my girls from a couple of months ago. Daisy, the one in the back, is almost covered with white spots now and is quite lovely. Millie has grown her neck feathers back now that my roo has more girls to share his love with. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. MissJenny

MissJenny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    That Handy Dandy Chicken chart is terrific! Thank you.

KSCT, I'm here doing the same thing -- research on chicken care and figuring out what to get next spring. I've narrowed my list down to about five breeds -- so I think I'll get one of each. I want a colorful chicken yard -- and I want to be able to tell them apart. A little of this, a little of that.

Have you narrowed down your prferences?

Jenny

6. ksct

Apr 23, 2009
    upstate, NY
    MissJenny - I'M THINKING OF A SILKIE... ACTUALLY PROBABLY 2 FOR DS. HE ASKED AND I'D LIKE TO GET HIM ONE. CAN'T HAVE ONE SO I'LL GET TWO. LOL I WANT A BEAUTIFUL ROOSTER!!!! SO WE'VE NARROWED IT DOWN TO WELSUMMER I THINK.... I WANTED A SERMA OR 2 I THINK TOO. I LIKE THE LOOKS OF THE LITTLE ONES. OTHER THAN THAT I DON'T KONW. I TOO WOULD LIKE A COLORFUL CHICKEN YARD. ANY SUGGESTIONS? I'M NERVOUS ABOUT A BREED THAT GOES BROODY A LOT BECAUSE I DON'T REALLY KNOW WHAT TO DO WITH THEM WHEN THAT HAPPENS. LOL WE HAVE A VERY SMALL HOUSE SO WE DON'T AHVE ROOM TO KEEP THEM IN WITH US. (PLUS OUR DOG I'M SURE WOULD LOVE TO GET ONE AND THAT CAN'T HAPPEN!)
    WHAT KINDS ARE YOU LOOKING AT?
    I WANT TO GET THEM EARLY SPRING BECAUSE OUR BO'S WERE ABOUT 2 MONTHS LATE COMING AND I DON'T KNOW WHEN THEY'LL START LAYING ETC NOW THAT THE WEATHER IS CHANGING ETC... I'VE READ SOMETIMES EGG PRODUCTION IS (OR CAN BE) LOW IN THE WINTER.

7. bibliophile birds

some of my favorite breeds for that lovely colorful flock:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

(in order: Faverolles, Gold-laced Blue Wyandottes, Blue Birchin Marans, Lavender Orpingtons, Delawares, Quail Barbu d'Anvers, Blue Bonnet Barbu d'Uccles, and Black-tailed Buff Minohikis)

well, lots of pictures... but it's so much fun planning the perfectly colored flock!

8. ksct

Apr 23, 2009
    upstate, NY
    i forgot.... i want a LAVENDER orp too!!!! thanks! lol
    that rooster is beautiful acutally!
    Don't get me wrong, my BO rooster is beautiful in his own right but i want a colorful guy! I gotta get enough hens to add as well so that our roosters don't fight. (terribly worried about that!) Our rooster Alfredo isn't mean at all.... VERY skiddish around people but tells the girls where all the treats are and sometimes kicks them off the highest (=best) roosting spot. lol and as long as he's not mean i'll be happy with him!

9. MissJenny

MissJenny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    The pictures from At LargeInTheWorld are beautiful!!!

I am thinking, Partridge or Black Cochin, Light or Buff Brahma, Speckled Sussex and some kind of Easter Egger. Everything I've read says these are all calm breeds and they lay beautiful eggs. Sounds like a pretty good day to me.

Jenny

10. bibliophile birds

MissJenny-

my favorite chick right now is an EE (that's it in my avatar pic). still don't know what sex it is, but it's just super friendly and outgoing. i'm praying it's a hen, but i've already decided it's a keeper either way.

i think it's going to look like this:
    [​IMG]

but i'm secretly hoping it looks like this:
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by