Millie D'Uccle question

pbjmaker

Crowing
11 Years
May 9, 2008
Central Iowa
Have any of you had a Mille Fleur have head feathers grow in this dark? I know they change as they get older - but that sure is A LOT of black to change...
DSCN1813.jpg

And to think just a week or two ago his head was yellow...

That's what I thought - but I am totally new to this breed (umm and chickens in general). My guess was based on NONE of the other D'Uccles I have have that much black on their head. I don't show, don't know how to show but am interested in it - so he will probably go bye-bye. I have two hens that are starting to look really good out of the bunch, but he is the only Mille Fleur rooster. The other rooster is a porcelain.

Ya, he is very dark, but from my understanding you can still breed your millie hens to the porcelain roo and get mille fleur babies carrying the porcelain gene, Good Luck!
smile.png

Why in the world would he have to "go bye bye???"

If you don't know much about chickens to begin with, you surely wouldn't know if you had show quality or not so I just don't understand your reasoning.

What a disposable world we live in and how sad that every thing and every one is "toss away" material.

I'm a newbie at chicken raising/keeping, too, along with taking classes to become a certified veterinarian assistant so find each day, I learn something new.

My lil banty flock has one just like that and he's so full of character, a real people kinda guy and I believe from researching, he's a Partridge Rock bantam which is a very beautiful roo.
(And if I'm wrong, I can and will admit to it but would again try to discover a truthful answer.)

Last edited:
He does look aweful dark for a Millie. Your others in the background also look kinda dark. Who did you order from? Ideal has Brown Red d'Uccle Bantams. I think that might be what you have. Those are show able so you don't have to get rid of him.

Quote:
I wasn't sure what Brown reds looked like so i was just guessing. I've never heard of dark millies. Are they rare?

Quote:
I am lucky if I can get away with one rooster - I mean bye - bye as in to another home. ALL of my animals are from the rescue league or were strays/rehomes that no-one else wanted except for the chickens. My 15 week old rooster is a beautiful mutt that was "ugly" when he was hatched and no one else wanted. So instead of berating me and getting up on your soap box you should have got to know me by asking questions and learning...

Back
Top Bottom