Millie fleur frizzle help

___keysha___

In the Brooder
Nov 14, 2018
I need help so I have a 8 month old Millie fleur frizzle. She was outside in her coop when I went out to feed the other day and she was flopped over on her side and was acting very sick. So I rushed her inside gave her some antibiotics and vitamins with some electrolytes. She seemed to be doing fine after about 2 days. So I took her back outside and found her doing the same thing later that same day. I brought back inside did the same thing I did last time and now I noticed her head would not stay upright it is starting to make her head go upside down not sure what to do. Any ideas? She is still in the house. She is eating and drinking just fine, but seems very tired andher head is not upright. Never had this happen before and I have had all sorts of birds for 8 years now.

I need help so I have a 8 month old Millie fleur frizzle. She was outside in her coop when I went out to feed the other day and she was flopped over on her side and was acting very sick. So I rushed her inside gave her some antibiotics and vitamins with some electrolytes. She seemed to be doing fine after about 2 days. So I took her back outside and found her doing the same thing later that same day. I brought back inside did the same thing I did last time and now I noticed her head would not stay upright it is starting to make her head go upside down not sure what to do. Any ideas? She is still in the house. She is eating and drinking just fine, but seems very tired andher head is not upright. Never had this happen before and I have had all sorts of birds for 8 years now.
What type of food/treats do you feed?
What antibiotics did you give her?

If you have photos or a video you would like to share that would be good.

With the symptoms you describe it sounds like she has Wry Neck. This is just a neurological symptom of something else going on - disease like Marek's, injury, vitamin deficiency and genetics are some common causes.

You can try offering vitamin therapy to see if that helps. Birds with Marek's can have a recovery only to relapse later during times of stress.

Give her 400IU Vitamin E daily, plus 1/4 tablet human B-Complex vitamins. Add a treat of egg, tuna or sunflower seeds for Selenium.
Keep her eating her normal nutritionally balanced poultry feed for the most part, if you need to make that into a wet mash so she can eat it easier.
Here's some reading about Marek's http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq

You may need to help her eat/drink if she is not able to hold up her head, the video below shows you a way to do this.

What type of food/treats do you feed?
What antibiotics did you give her?

If you have photos or a video you would like to share that would be good.

With the symptoms you describe it sounds like she has Wry Neck. This is just a neurological symptom of something else going on - disease like Marek's, injury, vitamin deficiency and genetics are some common causes.

You can try offering vitamin therapy to see if that helps. Birds with Marek's can have a recovery only to relapse later during times of stress.

Give her 400IU Vitamin E daily, plus 1/4 tablet human B-Complex vitamins. Add a treat of egg, tuna or sunflower seeds for Selenium.
Keep her eating her normal nutritionally balanced poultry feed for the most part, if you need to make that into a wet mash so she can eat it easier.
Here's some reading about Marek's http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq

You may need to help her eat/drink if she is not able to hold up her head, the video below shows you a way to do this.
Ok thank you. Is there any way that I can keep her awake. For food I feed scratch, treats consist of fruits veggies and dried and alive mealworms and crickets my birds free range when I am home. I have been giving her some thyme and vitamin water. I am getting ready to run into town to get her some stuff that has vitamin E in it. What else should I do for her.

Ok thank you. Is there any way that I can keep her awake. For food I feed scratch, treats consist of fruits veggies and dried and alive mealworms and crickets my birds free range when I am home. I have been giving her some thyme and vitamin water. I am getting ready to run into town to get her some stuff that has vitamin E in it. What else should I do for her.
Do you not feed a complete poultry feed like layer feed, chick starter, flock raiser or similar?
How much free range time do your birds get? What does their forage consist of, especially in winter? (where are you located - state/country)

Do you not feed a complete poultry feed like layer feed, chick starter, flock raiser or similar?
How much free range time do your birds get? What does their forage consist of, especially in winter? (where are you located - state/country)
No I just feed scratch and for babies i do starter. They get about 4-5 hours when I am home all day for free range. And I have grass and weeds. Located in idaho.

No I just feed scratch and for babies i do starter. They get about 4-5 hours when I am home all day for free range. And I have grass and weeds. Located in idaho.
Scratch is not that nutritious, so you may want to consider making a balanced poultry feed available free choice. This could be part of the cause of your current problem, your chickens may not be getting enough essential vitamins/minerals and protein. Unless they are able to find enough through forage full time - I don't think 4-5hrs a day would be enough.

Back
Top Bottom