Mimosa trees

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Iwannachicken, Jul 27, 2010.

1. Iwannachicken

Iwannachicken Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2009
    Hoover, Alabama
    Hi y'all,

Our backyard chicken pasture has been over run with mimosa tree seedlings. The girls don't really eat them, but one of them died yesterday afternoon and
    another one is looking kind of puny (not moving around much and her comb is kind of orange instead of bright red).

It's been 100+ for the last few days but their ark is in the shade and they have water. I've been wetting the ground too. Today they have ice and cold water.

I don't know if it's something they're eating (mimosa trees) or if it's just the heat. I only have two left and will attack the mimosa trees if that's what I need to do.

Thanks for any input.

Karen

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I did a little googling and it appears that the seeds and seedpods are toxic. Contains a neurotoxin. Are there seedpods around this time of year?

Imp

3. shellybean40

shellybean40 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Boerne, TX
    My dd brought me a few seedpods the other day. [​IMG]

4. Iwannachicken

Iwannachicken Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2009
    Hoover, Alabama
    I don't know why I didn't think about googling it myself. Duh! Thanks for picking up the slack for me.

All the trees in our yard are seedlings. There are some mimosa's about a half mile from here. I'll get the round up after the seedlings in the yard
    and keep the girls off of it for awhile.

I put a lot of ice and ice water in the run of the ark yesterday and shaded one side with some camo netting. The one that was looking kind of sick
    seems better today, but she's still a little pale, so I think it was the heat that got the other one.

Thanks for your help,
    Karen

5. Siler

Siler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2010
    Central Indiana
    I have a mimosa(or a false mimosa) in my yard. It's a tree in the sensitive tree variety with the pink flowers. I've always called it a mimosa but recently found out it might not actually be one. Anyways my hens pick at the seed pods in the fall and have not had any issues.

6. MakNugget

MakNugget Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2010
    Portland, OR

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by