Min/Max thermometers.....ongoing seasonal results

And, like a brooder, you really want different temperature gradients in your coop if you're adding artificial heat. You would not want your chickens stuck someplace uncomfortably hot with no way to move away from it.

Dallas has a zoo that's really improved in the last few years, particularly with respect to avian species. Take a walk around and notice what they do for housing different birds through the winter. The really tropical ones come indoors, but the other ones get shelter and a bit of supplemental heat, just as we're discussing.

Pat-
Well, since you live in Ontario, I am definitely going to bow to your more advanced experience with much colder temps than we get here!

I was thinking about the whole temperature thing today at lunch. This weekend, I was working outside first thing in the morning. The temp was right around 34, but there was no wind at all, and I was comfortable in even just a sweatshirt. It wasn't until the breeze picked up (and the temp was almost 50!) that I got chilly. I was thinking that if my girls are in a ventilated, but not drafty/breezy coop, they just might be comfortable near freezing.

You have confirmed it for me. So, the temps are going to drop to 22 tomorrow night and I guess I'll just stop worrying. I like the idea of the hover box.

I am sorry to have passed along incorrect advice about cold weather and chickens, especially when that advice came from people who aren't used to temps below 20 degrees F!!!

Quote:
LOL - ok, but you are not dressing right to be a chicken.

If they can be bought in Dallas, which they may not be, what you need is a down parka and fiberfill ski pants. Go stand around outside at freezing dressed THAT way and tell me if you're cold
wink.png

Pat

I still think our yo yo temps are harder on chickens than more constant cold temps would be. Today's highs are only expected to be in the 30's, but in a few days they're predicting a sudden jump up to 67 degrees. If that warm spell continues for a bit, but then we get another freeze, that's got to be hard on the birds. I can't think of anything I can do about it, though. That's just our weather.

Last edited:
My 24 pullets recently spent a 19 degree night in our 8 x 16 coop. No problems and I threw it open for a couple of hours like always first thing in AM doing chores there. Next night was 24, still no troubles. No heat, no insulation. Am concerned with it getting to near zero mark and will definitely do something if so. No way 24 chooks are coming in to my attached garage!
lol.png

For heat, I am considering a row of 75 W heat lamps that they sell in tractor supply. Would build a rack with reflector the length of roost and figure on maybe 5 bulbs for each of the two roost poles. Rack would have to be sealed overhead with chicken wire.

As far as a hover box, they would just roost on top of it in the cold and crap all over it for my trouble!
lol.png
lol.png
lol.png
lol.png
lol.png
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom