Min Pin Problems

Update: I have been using the Sulfadene for a week tomorrow, the spots have not spread and are clearing up nicely. Do you all think that rules out the Demox Mange? Lord I hope so, lol. Thank You for everyone's help. And Rocket thanks you as well, Here is a pic of him before the spots showed up.
DSC02463.jpg

I'll try to get one uploaded of his spots.

He is such a cutie! I think the sufladene probably fixed your prob. I've used it for years with an Airedale Terrier that has major skin probs. The vet would give me a steroid/antiobiotic spray that was $25 and it never worked as good as the sulfadene. She is almost 9yrs old and think she has outgrown her probs because it's been a year since her last hot spot. My advice to you is to check Rocket frequently for more hot spots or places that might become hot spots and treat them asap. Good Luck!!

Localized demodectic mange can clear up on it's own, so I don't think it completely rules it out as a cause for his spots, but it does indicate that even if that was the cause it's not likely anything to worry about. As long as it's getting better, I'd just keep doing what you're doing, no matter what the cause.

Thanks Judymae, I think so too, now if he would settle down a little,
barnie.gif
talk about hyper!!!!

Hollyclyff, Can the demodectic mange reoccur? I think I saved the link you gave me, better go read it some more. Thanks for posting it, I had been looking for a good link.

Someone else posted the link actually. I suppose it could recur, but if the puppy's immune system is functioning well enough to fight it off, I wouldn't think that would be likely. Usually localized cases in puppies aren't anything to get worried about. When it occurs in an older dog or is generalized or difficult to clear up, it's more troublesome, because it probably means something else is going on. I had a puppy once with localized demodex and he never had it again in all his 14 1/2 years.

But that might not have even been what your puppy had. The only way to know for sure would be to have a vet do a skin scrape, but if it's clearing up I don't really see any reason to worry about it. If you notice it coming back, I would take him in though.

I have a min pin and she lost about a quarter size spot of hair from around her eye when she was little. The vet said it was red mange mites and dipped her in some stuff once a week for 3 weeks if I recall correctly. He said they got red mange mites from their mother when they are nursing but some puppies immune system was too weak to fight them off. Whatever, those dips were $50 a piece but she never had any other probs and she turned 9 years old last month.

Back
Top Bottom