Min Pin Problems

chicks rule

Songster
12 Years
Apr 10, 2007
SW MO
Do any of you own a Min Pin and do they have skin problems, also what would Hot Spots look like? My puppy has a quarter size spot between his shoulders and another area on his lower back on the backbone, It looks kind of like cradle cap on babies and he is trying to scratch it. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

Yup....sounds like a hot spot to me. I have never HAD a dog get them....but have seen them. Could be allergies as well. I would say, seek the vets advice. Maybe you can try putting DE in his food? This might help with the allergy thing. Maybe some blue coat on the spots? Im just reaching here, not sure if either would work.....but worth a try.

How old is your puppy? It could be demodex although it isn't typically all that itchy. It is caused by a mite and is not uncommon in young puppies whose immune systems aren't fully developed. If it is demodex the puppy may need to be treated, but it's not usually anything serious in a puppy. In an older dog it could indicate an underlying health problem.

Thanks Deb, I was wondering if they can be sensitive to the DE, put it his food last week and dusted him as well, hope it isn't a reaction to the DE??? I put Neosporin on the spots and now am off to see what else I can get for it. Thanks for your help.

My rottweiler gets hot spots alot! They vet shaves the spot so we can have better access and they sends me home with a spray. I believe he said it is a steroid/antiobiotic spray. The steroid helps with the itching and the antibiotic takes care of any infection that might come up from having an open sore. It works pretty quickly.

Walmart also sells a ointment called Sulfodene(?) I think. It smells like sulphur and works good too.

Thanks Judymae, I got Sulfadene at Wally World, it is an oil, He didn't care for it much when I put it on him, poor little guy. It says to try it for a week, so if he doesn't improve, I will get him to a vet.

Hollyclyff, I haven't heard of the demodex, I will go search for it now. Rocket is almost 4 mths old.
Thank you all for replying.

I've got two min pins(and 4 more with family members) and none of them have had skin problems...if the scaly spot is round, it could be ringworm with which you could get an anti fungal from the pharmacy. I've gotten ringworm a few times and the over the counter cream fixes me up quick and I'm fairly certain it's the same with your pup since ringworm is just on the surface of the skin, but please don't let him/her lick it off!!!)

Good luck!

Let me fore warn you it could be mange if it looks like cradle cap. My Newfie had it last year and it was very expensive to treat, due to the fact that we had to treat all the animals. Highly contagious! She got it again this season, I treated her externally and internally with DE. It completely eliminated it! I was amazed! Mange is spread through infested pooh from other animals. When she was diagnosed last year the vet took a scraping of it and we saw it under the microscope. They are hideous little parasites! I am a firm and loyal believer in DE, and there should be little to no side effects from using it on the pup. After all... I take it myself, internally!

Could be Demodectic Mange. It's common in puppies, and is usually localized. I used to be a vet tech, it's more common in pure breds, it seems
hmm.png

This is a good page on it:
http://peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=2&articleid=729

Good luck, either way. Min Pins are such cute little things
smile.png

Jess

THX yearofthedog, I don't believe it is ringworm, the spot between the shoulders started from his harness, but the other is in an almost straight line down his backbone??? I am trying the sulfodene for a week and we'll see what happens. I put it on him when I got home and it seems to look a little better already. Also I bathed him yesterday with a citrus flea and tick shampoo, hasn't seemed to bother him, but, could it be an allergic reaction to that?????

Back
Top Bottom