Ming Ming is sick and I need help, please!

Kariann

Chirping
Jul 5, 2021
Tennessee
Yesterday evening, I noticed that Ming (23 weeks old, Sapphire Gem) was wheezing. I listened to her chest and could not heat any rattling or wheezing (so the wheeze was in her throat, not her lungs, I gusss?). There was no drainage in her eyes or nostrils. I isolated her from the flock and treated her with VetRx and flock fixer (prebiotics, probiotics, electrolytes, and vitamins to "hydrate and restore during times of challenge"). I was scared she would die, so I slept with her outside on the screened porch!
This morning, she is not wheezing, but she sounds very hoarse when she vocalizes, and sometimes will squeak.
Please, someone tell me if I am doing the right things? Should I be doing something more? Something different? Is she going to be okay?
Edit to add- I just saw a video that another member posted of her wheezing hen who sounds just like Ming did and it looks like she was advised that it wasn't respiratory due to lack of drainage and rattling. I will check Ming's crop when she's done with the egg she is currently getting out. Her poop has been pretty normal. She is drinking, but I'm not sure if she's eating. I'm going to remove the jar of feed and replace it with a smaller amount so that I can better monitor. It has been miserably hot and humid in Knoxville, Tennessee. We have plenty of shade, water, and the flock loves taking dirt baths under the porch where it's nice and cool.

Last edited:
Is she acting off other than the wheezing?
Not really. She was still moving around with the flock before I realized something was wrong. She is still pooping and drinking. I've only just set up a way to monitor her eating. Her crop is soft and squishy, barely there. No bad breath. She may be a little subdued, barely if so, because she could be tired or sad that she is isolated. She just finished laying her daily egg.

Not really. She was still moving around with the flock before I realized something was wrong. She is still pooping and drinking. I've only just set up a way to monitor her eating. Her crop is soft and squishy, barely there. No bad breath. She may be a little subdued, barely if so, because she could be tired or sad that she is isolated. She just finished laying her daily egg.
I wouldn't be too concerned, the heat is affecting chickens in a lot of places, it also could be she got something down the wrong pipe.
What do you feed them?

I wouldn't be too concerned, the heat is affecting chickens in a lot of places, it also could be she got something down the wrong pipe.
What do you feed them?
I give commercial layer feed with probiotics and diatomaceous earth mixed in, scratch grains, mealworms, vegetables, and fruits. I have done yogurt a couple times. I haven't done oatmeal yet, saving that for a cold weather treat.
Do you think I can stop isolating her?

Edit to add that she is eating!

I give commercial layer feed with probiotics and diatomaceous earth mixed in, scratch grains, mealworms, vegetables, and fruits. I have done yogurt a couple times. I haven't done oatmeal yet, saving that for a cold weather treat.
Do you think I can stop isolating her?

Edit to add that she is eating!
It's good she's eating, that means she's probably fine. Don't add DE to their food, it doesn't do a single thing, it's just an 'old bloggers tale' that helps with anything. Most chicken feeds already have some mixed in anyway.

It's good she's eating, that means she's probably fine. Don't add DE to their food, it doesn't do a single thing, it's just an 'old bloggers tale' that helps with anything. Most chicken feeds already have some mixed in anyway.
Cool, good to know.
I really appreciate your time. I have been so worried!
Do you think I can go ahead and let her back to the flock?

(I also add fresh herbs from my garden now and then. I actually plan to ant an herb garden around the coop so that they can get what they want when they know they need it.)

Cool, good to know.
I really appreciate your time. I have been so worried!
Do you think I can go ahead and let her back to the flock?

(I also add fresh herbs from my garden now and then. I actually plan to ant an herb garden around the coop so that they can get what they want when they know they need it.)
You're welcome. You could keep her separated for a few more days just to make sure but I think she's probably fine. :]
Make sure to make that the herbs aren't toxic to chickens.

You're welcome. You could keep her separated for a few more days just to make sure but I think she's probably fine. :]
Make sure to make that the herbs aren't toxic to chickens.
Yes, absolutely! I looked up a list. I did plant lemon grass and bee balm, but the plants were too small to withstand the flock, lol. I'll be growing the herbs to sturdier plants before adding them to the chicken's garden. If you have any chicken life pro tips, I'm always happy to learn more! Google just shows too many conflicting articles. You have made my day.

Back
Top Bottom