mingling turkey poults with chicks

Quote:
i unfortunately have my turkey eggs in the bator already, and won't have chicken eggs to throw in with them till thursday, which will be day 7 of their incubation period. my americauna hen quit laying for some strange reason, so i'm not getting any eggs myself at the moment. either way, i will at least have chicks to hatch out with them and show them what to do.

Quote:
i have definitely decided that that's what i'm going to do. i waas just worried about it cuz i apparently read too much, and alot of the things that i've read have said to keep them away from each other.

The only rationale for keeping them separate is blackhead, if the hatchery or other source is certified you are in good shape.

Usually chicks can help the poults start feeding, I have had it the other way too when the poults hatched first, I feed the high protein to all, and the medicated ated to all.

Re dogs, two ways to prevent that, or nearly all, have a livestock guardian dog, even a good English Shepherd, and raise Wishard Turkeys, my first Wishard I got as chicks, and reared them with chicks, they were almost immediately after in a run and then free ranging, and they fly early but stay home for feeding, I noted a stray dog come into the yard and the Toms came down out of their trees an just pummeled that dog, it went off kiyiyi-ing, never had any problems after that, I have had GS, English Shepherds and Rotties that were all great home critter protectors, other breeds will do it too.

Some breeds of turkeys dont know how to protect themselves, Wild Easterns and Merriams and Wishard can. The best solution for stray dogs is SSS.

Quote:
a friend of mine had a bourbon red tom, and a bunch of poults last summer, and he was really protective of them. it was pretty funny to watch. he actually slapped my 4 yr old daughter with his wings, to keep her away from the little ones.

I am raising turkey poults with chicks and feeding 25% protein chick starter. The turkeys seem lively but the chick, less lively than I expect. They are 3 weeks old now.Does anyne know what effects could result from feeding too high protein to the chicks..

I've heard that if chicks get too much protein they can get "Angel Wing". This is when the wing feathers grow too fast and the bones can't keep up. The wings drop and cause the joints to rotate outward. It can end up being a painful condition for the chicken.

Last edited:
I've heard that if chicks get too much protein they can get "Angel Wing". This is when the wing feathers grow too fast and the bones can't keep up. The wings drop and cause the joints to rotate outward. It can end up being a painful condition for the chicken.

I always raise chicks and poults and keets together. All of them get a turkey game bird starter that is 28% protein. I have never had any issues with the chicks getting the high protein feed. On the other hand the keets and the poults absolutely do need the high protein feed for at least the first 2 weeks. My little ones are usually in the brooder for the first two weeks. After leaving the brooder if the turkeys and poults are still in the group they all get turkey grower which is 24% protein.

I have never seen an instance of angel wing in my chicks.

Back
Top Bottom