Mini Appleyard Ducks?

Quote:
I don't have them, but wanted them this year. Tried twice to incubate eggs from the same person (there were shipped eggs), but didn't get a one. However, I had researched the breed because I wanted a bantam duck. They are small; 2 - 2.5 lbs as adults. I DID just hatch spotted australians duckling this past week. They are also a bantam breed, same size. Little cuties!
70110_img_2641.jpg

I have a book called 'Keeping Ducks and Geese' by Chris & Mike Ashton that has info on Mini Appleyards. Here is what it says:

Silver Appleyard Miniature

_______Fact File_______

Classification - Bantam
Weight - (Male) 3lb
Weight (Female) 2 1/2lb
Utility - Pet
Color - Restricted Mallard
Origin - UK
Flight Potential - Yes
Status - Popular breed in UK
Eggs - 80 (per year)

______Description______

This is another breed developed or created by Tom Bartlett. Tom explains that he's 'bred down' specimens of the large Silver Appleyard, but the way he did this was never fully documented.
Early photographs in Fancy Fowl[i/] magazine show beautiful examples of female a Appleyards ('like porcelain figures'), almost perfect in markings. The drake had a very broad neckring, suggestive of possible Pied Call connections. Nevertheless, Tom produced the Miniature in time for the first BWA Champion Waterfowl Exhibition held at Malvern in 1987. It was standardized ten years later.
Small, economical, and excellent at incubating difficult Call duck eggs, the 'Mini App' is an attractive and useful addition to the garden flock. It is also a great choice for a beginner in duck breeding, or an expert looking for a challenge. Keeping them pure and not getting them too dark are the prime targets for the responsible breeder.
Minis lay surprisingly large eggs. Keep taking them away from the nest if you don't want them to sit. As with the Calls, the birds must be confined to the garden in the breeding season; they do not lay before 9 a.m. and a broody duck can be lost on her concealed nest.

Hope I helped and good luck!
smile.png

Hello out there. We have built a Japanese styled garden with water and are looking for Mini silver bantam duck eggs to hatch at home and so save stress to the birds. If anyone is in Europe and can promise safe delivery of live birds then yes indeed. A trio of the little chaps would be good. What ever way we do intend to have the garden completed by June this year and so you have time to contact me if you can help.Remember only small miniature bantam silver Appleyard ducklings. We do not require information on the Reginald Appleyard type only the bantam version as size of duck is paramount in this garden pool. Many thanks Kevin and Anita.

Back
Top Bottom