Mini cup drinker review? experience?

Nslangton

Songster
10 Years
Jan 19, 2012
I ordered a couple of mini cup drinkers from Fleming Outdoors. I have seen them for sale multiple places but could not find any reviews or people who have used them. They attach to any container and are self filling. Has anyone tried these? If so, what do you like/dislike about them. They seem great and have been out for years, but if they are why does no one have them? I plan on giving them a test run before I commit to using them in the coop. I will post a review as soon as I decide if I love or hate them.

I just looked them up. I think they are pretty neat. Let us know if they work, i just might buy some next year then. looks like you can even put them on a (cleaned) litterbox jug.

Hello! I luv luv luv mine! And so do the girls!
I have 4 nipples and 2 cups---the line is always, always at the cups!!

I had a picture of my ladies and their drinking cups......but I don't know if they made it to the site remodel
hmm.png
!

But I highly recommend them. I plan to replace some nipples w/cups!

Good Luck!

I found my pic! YEAH!

Last edited:
I am interested in these too. But, I have heard that they are not good for silkies for some reason? Something about them not being able to engage the nipple properly. Does anyone know if this is true and why? I have been holding off changing my watering system for this reason. I have also looked into the type that doesn't have a nipple, is just a cup. I wonder of anyone has used that? They are usually called mini cup drinkers online

I am interested in these too. But, I have heard that they are not good for silkies for some reason? Something about them not being able to engage the nipple properly. Does anyone know if this is true and why? I have been holding off changing my watering system for this reason. I have also looked into the type that doesn't have a nipple, is just a cup. I wonder of anyone has used that? They are usually called mini cup drinkers online

They are the ones I ordered. They are self filling with a float valve so the cup always has water. I hope to have them soon and will test out asap. If I have a problem I am going to the system posted above. They seem to get better reviews then the nipples. I will let you know how they work out.

I'll follow this thread to see what you think of them. Hopefully someone who has used them will chime in. The one thing I notice is that it seems like you have to use a container with a hole large enough to get your hand into to screw on the back piece. I had hoped to use square water jugs that only have a 2 inch opening. Also notice that on Fleming it says not to use with over 18" of water? Not sure what that means. Even a 5 gallon bucket is taller than that right? Anyway, thanks for testing them!

I'll follow this thread to see what you think of them. Hopefully someone who has used them will chime in. The one thing I notice is that it seems like you have to use a container with a hole large enough to get your hand into to screw on the back piece. I had hoped to use square water jugs that only have a 2 inch opening. Also notice that on Fleming it says not to use with over 18" of water? Not sure what that means. Even a 5 gallon bucket is taller than that right? Anyway, thanks for testing them!

They will wok fine with a standard 5 gallon bucket. You do need to get your hand inside to tighten it. That is the problem with many of the things you could use. If you need a giant opening that kind of defeats the purpose of keeping the water supply clean. I bought a Rubbermaid container with a lid to try these out on. I have a pretty small area that I want to put the waterer in. The one I have will be great for the chicks, but not sure for adults. I should get them Tuesday and will test them out ASAP

We installed the mini cup drinker and are testing it out. It took about 20 seconds to have up and running. Simply drill one 1/2" hole, insert, & tighten. Filled with water at all different levels and it worked perfectly. The container we used is kind of flimsy so I don't know if it will leak when the chicks jump all over it. We plan on using more than one cup permanently when we find the perfect container when the chicks are fully grown. I can not believe how easy it was. Seems to good to be true.

There are few types:
These have a trigger that keeps the water level lower when not in use:

These have a float valve that keeps them full at all times.

Last edited:
I like the look of it. I wonder if I could get the container on the outside of the wire to increase sq. footage with the cup threading through to the inside. Container would have to have zero taper. I might try it with a square bucket. Thanks for posting!

Bellevue - I have not seen the float type cup. do not see them on beaktime either. looks intriguing though.

Back
Top Bottom