Mini pig gone hog wild

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by degan, Oct 19, 2010.

1. degan

degan Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2010
    Arnprior, Ontario
    I have a 11 month old mini pot belly pig. She is so sweet but when she comes into heat she goes crazy. Jumping up on your leg, biting, crying and wont settle down. I can afford to have her spayed and I wont get rid of her. I am wondering if there is a natural remedy to give her to calm her down during this time. As it is right now we have to lock her in her crate which makes her upset. Any ideas would help.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    There are only two solutions either breed her or spay her. The urge to reproduce is exceedingly strong.

3. degan

degan Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2010
    Arnprior, Ontario
    Dont you think that a natural supplement for PMS might help? Would it hurt to try one?

4. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Olympia Washington
    Would raspberry leaves (mare magic) work on a pig like it's supposed to help horses. You can get raspberry leaves at a health food store for a lot less than Mare Magic at the feed store.

5. degan

degan Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2010
    Arnprior, Ontario
    I'm willing to try anything. Off to the natural food store to buy some raspberry leaves!

6. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I dont think that there is anything that you can really do that will make any real improvment....
    She just has to cycle out of it..

7. sandy sea

sandy sea Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    Gavilan Hills, CA
    My girls are really mean when they are in heat also. Biting, chasing, and jumping for about 2 days. Not every heat is as bad as some.. I need to start saving for the fixing. Let us know if the rasyberry leaves help. Might even slip my daughter some.

8. txcarl1258

txcarl1258 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    Pleasanton
    [​IMG]
    Might even slip my daughter some

[​IMG]

9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Are non spayed swine as susceptible to pyometra as un spayed dogs? Do pigs even get uterine infections?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by