Minimum required space size for ducks?

KikiDeAnime

Spooky
6 Years
Dec 29, 2017
Battle Ground, WA
I plan on letting our ducks free range during the day but would like to know what the minimum required space size is for a duck's living area. Thursday and Saturday are days that I leave the house for a few hours so I can't let them free range on those days as there's nobody to supervise them(My younger brother refuses to watch any of the animals properly).

We have an empty fenced area that I could put them in but I'm not sure if it's big enough for them. It's quite big for ducklings though.

They would only be in their living space from dusk until dawn.

I know more is better but we don't have a lot of backyard to give them a huge area.
Also, how big is that? I don't understand sqft that well.
How many ducks do you have? - Multiply that with four (4) and you have the minimum amount of space that your ducks need in their house to sleep in square feet.
Similar calculation for the outside space in the pen: Multiply the number of ducks by ten (10) and you have the minimum amount of space that your ducks need in their pen.

How many ducks do you have? - Multiply that with four (4) and you have the minimum amount of space that your ducks need in their house to sleep in square feet.
Similar calculation for the outside space in the pen: Multiply the number of ducks by ten (10) and you have the minimum amount of space that your ducks need in their pen.
We only have 2 and right now they're still ducklings. Colonel is 4 wks old while Duchess is 2 wks old.

Ok, so 2 ducks x 4 = 8sqft. That’s how much sleeping space. 2 x 10 = 20sqft for the area of outside run. That could be a 2X10ft rectangle, but that might be weird. So if you want to know what that looks like as a square, then take the area you calculated and get the square root. For 20sqft. It’s about 4.5ft.

If you know what one side of the run needs to be because it attaches to a barn or something, take the area and divide by that number. The answer will the length of the other side of the rectangle.

Just do the calculation of the length and width of your planned area multiplied, and that’s how many sqft that is. If it’s under 20, that’s not enough.

4sqft at the least(that means 2 feet on each side) and 8sqft at the most(4 feet on each side). My ducks live in a 10x15 ft run. Not sure how big the coop is but it works and they have plenty of space.

Back
Top Bottom