Mink Chasing After My Chicken

cass85

Chirping
Aug 28, 2019
Today I heard squawking coming from my free range chickens outside, and going out to look I saw what looked like a ferret chasing after one of my chickens while the other one stood still and squawked for help. It was either a mink or a weasel, I’m unsure, but I’m leaning toward mink. When I came outside and saw this chaos the mink stopped chasing my hen and charged at me, it ended up running straight into my leg and backing up from me. After that it looked at me and ran slowly into the woods. It didn’t seem to be afraid of me but at least it stopped chasing the chicken. Does anyone know what I should make of this?

Today I heard squawking coming from my free range chickens outside, and going out to look I saw what looked like a ferret chasing after one of my chickens while the other one stood still and squawked for help. It was either a mink or a weasel, I’m unsure, but I’m leaning toward mink. When I came outside and saw this chaos the mink stopped chasing my hen and charged at me, it ended up running straight into my leg and backing up from me. After that it looked at me and ran slowly into the woods. It didn’t seem to be afraid of me but at least it stopped chasing the chicken. Does anyone know what I should make of this?
I would say be careful. That animal sounds sick with that kind of behavior. Most animals will try to escape by running away.

Get him out! Try putting out a live trap and trapping him in it. I don't nessasarily know what you would do with after you caught him, but you could either scare him real good by hitting the cage and then releasing him, or you could drive far away form you house, scare him bad, and realize him there. You could even shoot nerf guns at him to get him really scared, and keep him away. Or you could kill him after you trap him, but I don't see that being very fun or anyone wanting to do that.

Or you could kill him after you trap him, but I don't see that being very fun or anyone wanting to do that.
Don't think it's meant to be fun, but the bonus is it does stop him coming back after your chickens.

Watch those chickens. Mink are no fun.
We get plenty around here. They love my chickens almost as much as I do.

Since it didn't appear to be afraid of you, my guess would be a Ferret. Maybe it was somebodies pet at one time. They are all in the same family, genus Mustela, in the family Mustelidae.

Back
Top Bottom