Minnesota processors?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by chandasue, Sep 27, 2008.

1. chandasue

chandasue Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    MN
    Does anyone know of a chicken processing business on the north side of the twin cities to st cloud area to Mille Lac? We live by Princeton. There's a place way up by Little Falls but that's a long drive to have no more than 20-30 birds butchered per year. We'll learn to do it ourselves if we must but if there's someone that can do it for us that would really be nice.

2. antlers

antlers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2008
    East Cent Minnesota
    HI. I am in Princeton too! North side.
    I checked this out this summer. There are none around here. Best bet was a place in Dennison down by Northfield. They do not have a minimum. I think the one in Little falls has a 200 bird minimum. Google poulty processors in Minnesota and it will give you the list I found.

For what it is worth I skin mine and i cna do one in about 5 minutes, start to drawn. You'll get the hang of it fast.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2008
  3. chandasue

Sep 14, 2008
    MN
    I'm sort of surprised that there isn't someone closer... We're going to have to do it ourselves. I suppose skinning is the cleanest way to do it. Thanks! Hey- We live in the Baldwin Twp area. Practically neighbors! [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 26, 2008
  4. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    Hi , I am in central wisc.. I went to the tech school in Pine City, Minn..

We have a Hmong processing facility just 25 miles south of here.. they will do 1 to as many as you want for $1.85 per chicken.. ducks , geese and turkeys are $5.oo...

There are a couple of Menonites who will travel to your home and do them for you.
    I don't know what they charge..

This is just for your information so you know more about what you are looking for..

why don't you neighbors set up a butchering trailer and go into a part time butchering service?? It sounds like your area needs something like that.

I have the plans for a couple of different types of pluckers you could build.. I am just about finished with my first Whizbang

......jiminwisc.........

5. lilshadow

lilshadow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    Milaca, MN
    I haven't found one in our area. I live in Milaca. I take mine to Nelson shine produce which is up close to Brainerd. It may even be Little Falls, but not sure. They do an awesome job though. I really like them.

6. chandasue

Sep 14, 2008
    MN
    Quote:No kidding! I've called several organic poultry farmers in the area and they all drive their birds to Little Falls. I think that's crazy! That's like adding nearly $100 to the cost of the birds for gas alone, add a meal or two on the road besides! It's just not worth it.

7. AllChookUp

AllChookUp Will Shut Up for Chocolate

May 7, 2008
    Frozen Lake, MN
    Hey, you two - I live southeast of you, near Forest Lake, south of North Branch. Good luck finding a processor. I don't know of any in your area, unfortunately.

8. chandasue

Sep 14, 2008
    MN
    "Save the Earth - It's the only planet with chocolate." [​IMG]

I LOVE IT!

9. moenmitz

moenmitz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
  10. chandasue

Sep 14, 2008
    MN
    Nice try but those are even further away than the one by Little Falls and the one south of the cities. Definitely a small market for anyone interested in starting such a venture in the area east of St Cloud and north of the cities...

Last edited: Oct 28, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by