Minnesota!

Robbinsdale, MN here - just a few yards from the Minneapolis border.

Hubby and I are building our coop right now and hope to have our two hens in a few weeks. I'm so excited I wish I could bring some home today!

Any great tips on chicken supplies in Minnesota?

We got grit, oyster shell, pine shavings, a feeder, and waterer at Fleet Farm but hubby didn't like their feed selection - it had animal byproducts in it. Being from the UK, he's a bit paranoid about such things after the Mad Cow issues. (Strangely enough, because he lived in England during that time he will NEVER be eligible to donate blood in the US.)

I haven't looked closely at the medications yet - hopefully we won't need them! The Brooklyn Park Fleet Farm is pretty close to us, does the eastern metro one have a different range?

Still haven't found food grade DE around here. We paid through the nose to have one bag of organic feed shipped here and will stop at a place we found up North when we head that direction for Memorial Day. I guess we need vegetarian feed at least, if not organic.

Hopefully we're going up to Anoka Farm and Garden on Monday to pick out our chickens!!

I go to the Brooklyn Park one too, so I don't know about selection at the others, but I'd guess it's the same stuff. Sprout seems to be their main feed.

You can try one of the Hennepin Co-op stores. I know the one in Maple Plain has a big selection of feed and they can order stuff too, but I bet that's too far to drive. There is one around Osseo, but I'd call them first because I don't think they carry poultry feed.

Any way, I've never heard of Anoka Farm and Garden, do you know what kind of chicks they have? I might have to check that out! I've been looking into getting ducklings, ohh what a temptation that would be!
jumpy.gif

Ok this is weird, is the place up north called L&M Fleet- I think that's it- in Grand Rapids? For the past 3 years my family and I go fishing up north on Memorial weekend , and I always have to stop it there to see the baby chicks. It just struck me that it could be the same place. How weird would that be?!
th.gif

When we stopped by Anoka Farm & Garden a month ago or so, they had chicks, ducklings, pheasants, and all ages of started pullets. Cute little messy store but friendly and informative people. We got the recommendation from the website for the guy who teaches "Chickens in the City" classes for Minneapolis. http://www.urbanagrarian.com/resources.html (The address says Hwy 10 but it's really on Hwy 169 where the two are the same road. Really easy to get to.)

The store up north where we found organic feed offered is actually the Buckwheat Growers Association of Minnesota. When I did a search for organic chicken feed in Minnesota, I got a link to the UMN extension which linked to them. http://www.buckwheatgrowers.com/products.htm They are in Wadena. My folks have a cabin near Detroit Lakes so Wadena is only about 20 minutes out of our way.

It's so fun to meet some other chicken keepers in Minnesota! I'd been dreaming of chickens for years and then saw an article in Minnesota Monthly a few months ago that convinced me it could be (and is!) done in the city. We're planning on a trip to Anoka early next week to pick out our birds!!

Thanks for the info, I'm planning on stopping by the Anoka shop on Saturday, maybe pick up some chicks or ducklings.

That's a great list of resources in MN, Thanks for linking to it!

Hello Fellow Minnesotans!
It is nice to find some people on here that are also from Minnesota. I am from Karlstad. That is 30 miles north of Thief River Falls and about 30 miles south of the canadian Border. I also happen to be about 30 miles from the North Dakota border. So I am up here in the corner. I just got 4 chickens from my Mother in law for Mothers day! I have 3 hens and a roo. I love them! Now I am obsessed with them and I cant stop thinking about chickens and feed and eggs!
I have 2 kids(1 and 3.5). I have been married for 5 years and we have been together for 7. I am 26. I look forward to getting to know you all better.

Does anyone know what kinds of stores will sell the feed and the things that I need for my chickens? My Mother in law sent me some stuff but it wont last much longer. We have a cenex co-op here. Will they have it?

Kristyne

Hi everybody. I'm in Shafer, which is NE of the metro area, about 6 miles west of Taylors Falls. I actually go across the river into WI for most of my chicken needs.

One more soon-to-be Minneapolis chicken owner here! We hope to start with 4 pullets, and add 2 chicks next summer for the experience when we better know what we're doing. We're building a henhouse in the garage, with an opining into a dog kennel run. We're about 1/4 of the way into the building process.

I'm thinking Buff Orpingtons, Plymouth Rocks, maybe an Auracana or Wyandotte?

If you live in the area and have a coop, I'd dearly love to come see it, even for just a few minutes.

Back
Top Bottom