Minnesota!

My suggestions, get them from a breeder then.  The big hatchery birds tend to burn out fast, have more reproductive problems, show more aggression, are smaller and less likely to be on target of what a breed or variety should be.

Would you be interested in Buckeyes?  They are great cold weather birds, developed and bred specifically for cold, very good layers for a dual purpose breed, males make excellent eating for a DP breed, are friendly/non-flighty, good foragers...they are my favorites because of their overall practicality for a northern climate.

I missed seeing your  other post, I will PM you, CL.

Buckeyes interest me....yes....

I have a Buckeye rooster (Big Buck) and he is fantastic. I would highly recommend Buckeyes. If we need to add more hens to our laying flock this year and MCM had pullets to get rid of I probably will be knocking on her door (if only digitally :) )

Looks like I'm adopting Cyrus's chickens.

*big grin*

New chickens! Yus! Does this adoption include Lucky the Rooster?
smile.png

My suggestions, get them from a breeder then. The big hatchery birds tend to burn out fast, have more reproductive problems, show more aggression, are smaller and less likely to be on target of what a breed or variety should be.

Would you be interested in Buckeyes? They are great cold weather birds, developed and bred specifically for cold, very good layers for a dual purpose breed, males make excellent eating for a DP breed, are friendly/non-flighty, good foragers...they are my favorites because of their overall practicality for a northern climate.

I missed seeing your other post, I will PM you, CL.

Buckeyes are pretty. I like their red color variation. @cottonlouie , you should get at least 100. Chicken keeping is not done in moderation.

Oh, and @Minniechickmama , my girls are doing much better. I have a few still isolated in the house because they need more one-on-one attention. However, no more sneezes in the coop. All around positive progress. Fingers are crossed it stays that way. Unfortunately, I won't be able to hatch OE's for friends this Spring since all my girls are now carriers, but I might hatch a few for myself. Anyways, thanks for your advice....much appreciated
smile.png

Last edited:
Buckeyes are pretty. I like their red color variation. @cottonlouie , you should get at least 100. Chicken keeping is not done in moderation.

Oh, and @Minniechickmama , my girls are doing much better. I have a few still isolated in the house because they need more one-on-one attention. However, no more sneezes in the coop. All around positive progress. Fingers are crossed it stays that way. Unfortunately, I won't be able to hatch OE's for friends this Spring since all my girls are now carriers, but I might hatch a few for myself. Anyways, thanks for your advice....much appreciated
smile.png

maybe I missed it, but what did you decide they are carriers for? and how did you figure out what it was? the respiratory stuff is just so confusing!

New chickens! Yus! Does this adoption include Lucky the Rooster? :)

No roosters. I have the four roosters I want.

Zeus, the rooster that I traded for with Cyrus ended up in the freezer ( which was sad because he was a gorgeous bird) because he attacked my daughter. She still doesn't trust our remaining nice roosters.

maybe I missed it, but what did you decide they are carriers for? and how did you figure out what it was? the respiratory stuff is just so confusing!

I can't say exactly what they have since I didn't have any testing done by my vet. I did call just to see if someone would see my hen and they said they don't have anyone who specializes in poultry. However, they could test poop, swabs, and/or do a necropsy if I was willing to sacrifice a bird. Go figure. They must just send those out. Anyways, results would take about 4-6 weeks. By then, my flock would probably be gone because the idea is to wait for results before treating. They remain carriers of the respiratory virus no matter what it is (Bronchitis, Coryza, etc), which is why a lot of folks cull their flocks and start over when something like this pops up. Having a closed flock isn't an issue for me. Keepers who swap birds, sell hatching eggs, and chicks would have to approach it much differently. I treated by reading a ton of information and asking chicken guru's like Minnie. You just cross your fingers and hope whatever you do works. My husband think I'm nuts, but he's also the first one out in the coop cooing, holding, and talking to the birds after they get their antibiotic injections and VetRx
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom