Minnesota!

I recommend the white or buff orpingtons and the black Australorps. I havw never had the white orps but have had the buffs and was told the white were just as good

I am looking for consistent egg layers, cold hardy, good foragers....looks don't matter. Prefer a long time layer with fewer eggs to a heavy producer that burns out.

I have quite a few black Australorps and many here will agree they are great. Small combs and cold tolerant. Lays well year round and great freerangers. They have a great temperament too

this time of year I'm a little cautious about bringing anyone inside because supposedly it can be very tough to reacclimate to the cold outdoors when it is time to bring them back to the coop. If possible, you might want to pop them in the kennel or cage inside the coop instead. If floor space is an issue, you might be able to hang the kennel/cage above floor level. Good luck!

Excellent point! My broody hen must have been cold enough to stay out of the nest box last night....I watched her jump down and squeeze between my two little Roosters. They were a nice, cozy pile of sleeping feathers after awhile.

Barred a Rock, chantlecer, or black Australorp?

Barred Rock. So cool.

i am so happy today because both buff orps in sick bay in the coop are doing great.

The 6 mo old one I found huddled at the hatchway who could not stand, is now standing and scratching in her quarters. Still not up to eating normally, but I learned with Goldie that with injuries sometimes their appetite is dimished for a while She was not interested in scrambled egg, but did eat it when I hand fed her.

The 2 yr old buff that was all puffed up and wouldn't leave the coop (before the cold spell) is no longer puffed up and has an appetite. Not interested yet in leaving the kennel, but alert and doing much better.

I must have been too cold last night to properly count heads, because a dominque spent the night in the dog house. I had to coax her out, and get a rake to pull out all the hay. Found 4 busted open eggs and 1 she just laid this morning. I'm going to fill up the back area that I can't reach by hand, fill the front up with hay and let her have at it.

i am so happy today because both buff orps in sick bay in the coop are doing great.

The 6 mo old one I found huddled at the hatchway who could not stand, is now standing and scratching in her quarters. Still not up to eating normally, but I learned with Goldie that with injuries sometimes their appetite is dimished for a while She was not interested in scrambled egg, but did eat it when I hand fed her.

The 2 yr old buff that was all puffed up and wouldn't leave the coop (before the cold spell) is no longer puffed up and has an appetite. Not interested yet in leaving the kennel, but alert and doing much better.

I must have been too cold last night to properly count heads, because a dominque spent the night in the dog house. I had to coax her out, and get a rake to pull out all the hay. Found 4 busted open eggs and 1 she just laid this morning. I'm going to fill up the back area that I can't reach by hand, fill the front up with hay and let her have at it.

I have a sick hen that only ate from my hand from awhile as well. I'm curious if it's a movement thing.

I'm glad they're all doing well :)

The 6 mo old one I found huddled at the hatchway who could not stand, is now standing and scratching in her quarters.  Still not up to eating normally, but I learned with Goldie that with injuries sometimes their appetite is dimished for a while  She was not interested in scrambled egg, but did eat it when I hand fed her.

The  2 yr old buff that was all puffed up and wouldn't leave the coop (before the cold spell) is no longer puffed up and has an appetite.  Not interested yet in leaving the kennel, but alert and doing much better.

I must have been too cold last night to properly count heads, because a dominque spent the night in the dog house.  I had to coax her out, and get a rake to pull out all the hay.  Found 4 busted open eggs and 1 she just laid this morning. I'm going to fill up the back area that I can't reach by hand, fill the front up with hay and let her have at it.  

Wow, I would be a wreck if on of my hens had to spend the night outside.

I threw another bale of straw outside with scratch grain today to lure them out.

Minnie do people have to have chicks vaccinated to show them layer that summer??

I am sure there are people who show vaccinated birds. The first year we had birds for my kids to show, they were MM birds and I had the vaccinated.
There is no requirement to do so, and I have never heard of a problem of Mareks being spread by vaccinated birds at shows. The birds aren't at shows long and are individually caged, so the cross contamination from something in droppings is low. The thing to watch for is mites or lice getting spread from other birds, but you can apply something as a preventive measure, like Frontline.
I had a Buckeye hen in 2014 who got Best of Breed at the State Show in Hutch, then by the Ohio National about 2 weeks later, had lost about a pound or more and a month later I lost her. I don't know why but I can only guess she picked up something at the first show that did her in. I don't know for sure, but I took several other birds that were all just fine. Whenever you go to a show, you are going to take a chance of picking up something that may have an adverse effect on one or more of your birds, which is why it is so important to isolate birds coming home from another farm/yard or from a show or swap.

I am looking for consistent egg layers, cold hardy, good foragers....looks don't matter. Prefer a long time layer with fewer eggs to a heavy producer that burns out.

My suggestions, get them from a breeder then. The big hatchery birds tend to burn out fast, have more reproductive problems, show more aggression, are smaller and less likely to be on target of what a breed or variety should be.

Would you be interested in Buckeyes? They are great cold weather birds, developed and bred specifically for cold, very good layers for a dual purpose breed, males make excellent eating for a DP breed, are friendly/non-flighty, good foragers...they are my favorites because of their overall practicality for a northern climate.

I missed seeing your other post, I will PM you, CL.

Last edited:
My suggestions, get them from a breeder then.  The big hatchery birds tend to burn out fast, have more reproductive problems, show more aggression, are smaller and less likely to be on target of what a breed or variety should be.

Would you be interesting in Buckeyes?  They are great cold weather birds, developed and bred specifically for cold, very good layers for a dual purpose breed, males make excellent eating for a DP breed, are friendly/non-flighty, good foragers...they are my favorites because of their overall practicality for a northern climate.

I missed seeing your  other post, I will PM you, CL.

Buckeyes interest me....yes....

Back
Top Bottom