Minnesota!

Quote:
Our local feed mill offers a layer mash for $12, but my birds are horrible layers. I try avoid layer feeds because of the excess calcium.

Also, my birds are picky and refuse to eat the mash. They prefer pellets, but I can get them to eat the crumbles if necessary.

We buy crumble layer from Fleet Farm. It's like $14 for 50# and is the Sprout brand.

Thanks, but I try to avoid layer feeds. My birds are horrible layers and I don't want to feed them too much calcium.

What do you guys feed your birds?

I'm currently feeding "All Flock" pellets, but they're running $18 per 50 lbs. I'm hoping to find a cheaper alternative.
Do you have an elevator nearby you could see what they have? I get mine from a nearby elevator and it is about $15 for the mash/meal. I sometimes switch to crumbles which are a little more. When you buy pellets, they can be more expensive that the other forms of feed. Read the labels and know you are getting all you need. That is the most important. Also, animal protein is better for your birds that giving them plant based feed only.

Our local feed mill offers a layer mash for $12, but my birds are horrible layers. I try avoid layer feeds because of the excess calcium.

Also, my birds are picky and refuse to eat the mash. They prefer pellets, but I can get them to eat the crumbles if necessary.

Thanks, but I try to avoid layer feeds. My birds are horrible layers and I don't want to feed them too much calcium.
I would be concerned if they are horrible layers. Is that genetic or dietary? If they aren't laying well, perhaps a change if feed is in order, and if they are laying age, then a lay ration is appropriate. My Cochins aren't great layers, but part of that is because they want to be broody for 3 months out of the year.
My birds hate when I switch to mash. They hardly eat it for a couple of days, but then they get hungry and get over it. With the number of birds I have here, I have to go with what is more of a financial decision that what they prefer. I never use pellets because it is cost prohibitive for me. You could also look at supplemental feeds to help with laying, like Calf Manna, cat food (limit due to the high sodium content), or more natural foods like animal protein (soup bones, stripped chicken carcass and so forth) During winter especially when they can't get worms and bugs and such in their diet, which are excellent protein foods for them, they can use that little extra something.
I suggest you explore your options at whatever feed sources are within a reasonable distance from you and see where you can find the best option that fits your needs.

I would be concerned if they are horrible layers. Is that genetic or dietary? If they aren't laying well, perhaps a change if feed is in order, and if they are laying age, then a lay ration is appropriate. My Cochins aren't great layers, but part of that is because they want to be broody for 3 months out of the year.
My birds hate when I switch to mash. They hardly eat it for a couple of days, but then they get hungry and get over it. With the number of birds I have here, I have to go with what is more of a financial decision that what they prefer. I never use pellets because it is cost prohibitive for me. You could also look at supplemental feeds to help with laying, like Calf Manna, cat food (limit due to the high sodium content), or more natural foods like animal protein (soup bones, stripped chicken carcass and so forth) During winter especially when they can't get worms and bugs and such in their diet, which are excellent protein foods for them, they can use that little extra something.
I suggest you explore your options at whatever feed sources are within a reasonable distance from you and see where you can find the best option that fits your needs.

It's a little of everything.

Age - I have a few that are young and haven't layed eggs yet. I also have multiple 6 - 7 year old LF cochin hens that rarely lay eggs.

Molting - The birds that are of prime age are currently molting. Feathers are everywhere and I have lots of naked birds.

Light - I do not use artificial lighting. The hours of light they receive depend on the season. Also, many of them are housed in the barn which has windows, but it's darker than being outside.

Breed - I raise mainly cochins. I don't raise any of the production breeds.

Broodiness - Nearly everyone of my birds go broody in the spring. Many go broody in the summer and I also get the occasional broody in the winter.

Overall, many of them are not of laying age. During the spring and summer over half of them are broody. During the fall, they are molting. During the winter, the days are shorter and they take a break from laying.

I get eggs, but not very many considering how many hens I have so I supplement calcium as needed.

If you feed everyone layer's mash, how do your rooster's do? At what age do you switch chicks to layer feed?

I actually put them on lay mash at about 3-4 months depending on my penning and pasture situation and time of year. They all do fine. My roos are always on lay mash and live with hens 100% of the time. I haven't had any issues relating to calcium. I do occasionally give ACV in the water, but not on a regular basis. My birds (with the exception of chicks and juvies under 3 months, are on pasture from the time the snow is leaving the ground to when it starts flying. Then only my breeders are indoors and penned and they have an outdoor run. I do give a sprinkling of scratch once in a while but more often cracked corn in the winter. I also supplement some Calf Manna or scratch when molting. Molting can also be linked to layability of birds. I have read/been told that early molters tend to be your lower rate layers, and later/faster molters are more efficient layers.
I have an open air breeding house and a few smaller coops in the pasture that are occupied by a mixed flock in winter. I do add light to the breeder house, but that is because I run a small hatchery and have to get eggs rolling again in December to start hatching in January. I do let them have a few weeks this time of year to take a break though so they aren't constantly laying.

I actually put them on lay mash at about 3-4 months depending on my penning and pasture situation and time of year. They all do fine. My roos are always on lay mash and live with hens 100% of the time. I haven't had any issues relating to calcium. I do occasionally give ACV in the water, but not on a regular basis. My birds (with the exception of chicks and juvies under 3 months, are on pasture from the time the snow is leaving the ground to when it starts flying. Then only my breeders are indoors and penned and they have an outdoor run. I do give a sprinkling of scratch once in a while but more often cracked corn in the winter. I also supplement some Calf Manna or scratch when molting. Molting can also be linked to layability of birds. I have read/been told that early molters tend to be your lower rate layers, and later/faster molters are more efficient layers.
I have an open air breeding house and a few smaller coops in the pasture that are occupied by a mixed flock in winter. I do add light to the breeder house, but that is because I run a small hatchery and have to get eggs rolling again in December to start hatching in January. I do let them have a few weeks this time of year to take a break though so they aren't constantly laying.

I used to feed everyone in the main coop layer feed which included both hens and roosters from ages 3 months to 4 years. After a while, I began losing a few of the 5 month old birds here and there and than I lost a rooster. All of the deaths were linked to the excess calcium. I immediately switched to a flock raiser feed and that's what I've been using ever since.

I'd like to add light to get more eggs in January for hatching, but with our old barn, I'm not sure it's worth it.

Last edited:
I used to feed everyone in the main coop layer feed which included both hens and roosters from ages 3 months to 4 years. After a while, I began losing a few of the 5 month old birds here and there and than I lost a rooster. All of the deaths were linked to the excess calcium. I immediately switched to a flock raiser feed and that's what I've been using ever since.

I'd like to add light to get more eggs in January for hatching, but with our old barn, I'm not sure it's worth it.

that is really interesting that you were losing birds to excess calcium - I take it that is something you found out through necropsies? I feed an all flock feed most of the time with calcium on the side.

Last edited:
What do you guys feed your birds?

I'm currently feeding "All Flock" pellets, but they're running $18 per 50 lbs. I'm hoping to find a cheaper alternative.
I feed organic or transitional (grown to organic standards, just not certified) feed from Buckwheat Growers in Wadena, MN and meet them to pick it up in Milaca. Not sure where their delivery areas all are, but I really like the feed and prices are reasonable. They usually require a 10 bag minimum ($2.75 delivery/bag) but I'm sure if there are others in the area ordering they may let that slide or you could maybe get together with others with small orders... If there is anyone in/around the Milaca-Mora areas that was interested I usually order 10+ bags, so if you only have a few you need and want to try them let me know and I could add them to my order...
http://www.buckwheatgrowers.com/products.htm
http://www.buckwheatgrowers.com/rates13.pdf

that is really interesting that you were losing birds to excess calcium - I take it that is something you found out through necropsies? I feed an all flock feed most of the time with calcium on the side.

At the time I was fairly new to chicken keeping and I did not send them in for necropsies. I explained the deaths on a thread here on BYC and immediately fellow members began asking me what I fed them. The symptoms fit and once I switched feeds, I didn't lose any more birds.

Excess calcium can cause kidney failure which is what I believed happened to my birds. This happened quite a while ago. Out of a group of 30 five month old birds, I lost 4 of them.

Here's a couple articles on the subject:

http://www.livestocklibrary.com.au/bitstream/handle/1234/19522/87_195.pdf?sequence=1

http://www.pvj.com.pk/pdf-files/24_3/113-116.pdf

I'm currently feeding the same as you. An "All Flock" feed with calcium on the side for the hens that need it.

thanks for the links.
I've been feeding all flock because I've had so many varying ages in the flock, and am just about at the point where I could switch to layer. Doesn't seem like there is a good reason to switch, though.

Back
Top Bottom