Minnesota!

Wow some good deals on mature birds going on here! I wish I knew if my new chicks are cockerels or hens. Space is premium in the coop when we're running -20 F for weeks in a row. I wished I was in a more tropical locale. I'd let that chicken math get a little loose.

Last edited:
I got seven new wyandotte chicks two days ago, and one of my awesome buckeyes got herself munched by a fox. there is just an endless supply of foxes! I dispatch one, and a week later a new one shows up in the hood!

It is time that either the mommas are hunting for their babies food or if the kits were early, they are coming out to hunt. Coyotes are just as bad of not worse. I have friends across the upper midwest who are having problems with yotes coming right up and snatching them in broad daylight.

And if you need a replacement Buckeye.... check with me in about two months and see if I have some pullets I am not keeping ;)

About 2 months ago I was heading out of my driveway and a tiny little fox walked out in front of me. It was super cute but at this point I look at them as vermin and stomped on the gas pedal.

I lost 4 of my Heritage Rhode Island Red hens awhile back to a fox. I trapped him and he is now in Fox heaven. I would have stomped on the gas pedal too. I have a game camera set up out in one of my pens and not long ago I caught a fox on video running my fence line. I have electric around it too so I guess it must have found out about that as it didn't attempt to dig under the fence. The last time when it killed my birds It dug under a gate. I have since put concrete under the gates so they can't dig under the gates any more.

This little one has an injured leg. Found him, I think, out with 2 Icelandics. It looked like something was trying to push the gate. Somehow those 3 got out with only 1 getting injured. All my chickens are in the alpaca area & the chicks have another fenced place inside the alpaca pasture.

Back
Top Bottom