Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by foxhollow, Jul 17, 2008.

1. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    When I went to bed last night I thought about the above post and it got me wondering how many of you remember the bakers dozen?

When I was growing up it was the norm, I bet my kids have no idea what it even is.

When I go fishing and buy a dozen minnows if I only got a 12 minnows, I would go to another bait shop. But I admit I am old poor and cheap...

Fishing got me thinking, season closes tomorrow, I think. The ice houses have to be off the lake in 2 weeks, so they do not fall into the lake. When I stepped out the door, I get the feeling houses will not fall into the lake until June! It is so cold and windy, I am debating not letting the girls out today.

Brrrrrrr

2. Rhetts

Rhetts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2015
    Northern Minnesota
    Well, the 2 male turkeys were going at it pretty hard this morning. The Bourbon won't even go into the same corral as the other turkeys which is WAY not normal. He is usually the leader. I made him go in after the kids couldn't and I tell you what that other turkey was nasty!! The Bourbon went and hid in the boxes. I have never seen him run and hide before and he did not defend himself either. I dug him out and carried him to the duck house. Hopefully, they will leave eachother alone in there. The Bourbon was pretty beat up on his head, gobbler (what is that long skin flap called on the nose anyway) and his neck. So does this mean the other turkey has taken over the alpha male position?

Yeah Ralphie it is FREAKING!!! cold out there today. BTW I taught my kids about the bakers dozen.

3. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    The thing is the snood..

I am guessing your turkeys had a coup in the coop.

I would keep the turkeys apart for a while. My old one is still boss ( not having an L key that works every time I push it stinks). I keep an eye on mine because the my jakes are larger than my tom. I think we have relative peace in the yard now. The Jake I thought was going to be boss is busy trying to woe the pullets (see the video I posted).. He is not making much head way.

He is even, hoping to say this in a way to not get me a nasty gram,self pleasuring himself. So I think his dreams of being a daddy this year are over, for now anyways.

I am all excited I am getting new breeding stock tomorrow from EJB, I am fixing up the new guys quarters today. When I bring them in I will bring them into my CX's first until they are accepted. This is the first time I have ever brought in an outside chicken, so I am going to take it slow and easy. Hopefully it will go good and they will have their own hens in a month. They will be in a shed by themselves for 10-14 days, hopefully they will get to know me during that time.

I want it to be as easy as possible for everyone.

4. Rhetts

Jan 20, 2015
    Northern Minnesota
    Good luck with your new Chickens. How many are you getting? How exciting!!

I must confess some silly thinking on my part. I was at the grocery store looking at the fresh herb bundles they have. I was there buying oregano. I feed it to the hens. Well, I saw one labeled 'poultry blend'. I thought " What?! Cool! What herbs would they have combined that would be better than giving the girls just oregano?" No NO NO not feeding to the birds but COOKING the birds. How dumb I felt. No not everyone is there buying herbs to feed their chickens, in fact, probably just me doing it. [​IMG]

5. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

I am getting 2 roosters, I want to make the words greatest mutts. Until I get some Dominiques.

Maybe you can pre-season your chicken, feed them the poultry blend. [​IMG]

6. Rhetts

Jan 20, 2015
    Northern Minnesota
    What breeds are you crossing? What is your goal for your mutts besides all laying perfect porcelain eggs? :) I am intrigued at the thought that goes into crossing breeds and all the hard work people put into it. Call me geek but I love learning new things 'chicken'

My sister in law said the same thing about pre-season eggs because of the oregano. [​IMG]

7. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    I want the porcelain eggs, but that will be mainly luck.

I want different sizes, shapes and colors of eggs, and cute EE's. I like the EE's they are so friendly and fun to watch. The more color the better.

For meat birds I want a large bird in the hind quarters and smaller breasts. I may never get the perfect bird. I am going to try the CX's inbred, and crossbred with the chanticleer and Dixie rainbows. I actually would like to try a chanticleer with a Black Australorp too. Just because they are both so beautiful. Can you imagine a chanticleer rooster with the black Australorps color! Wow,, ,that excites me!

8. Thanks! Yeah, I love ducks~

9. BlackBrookPoultry

BlackBrookPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Western Wisconsin
    That is funny. I was laughing and my husband and kids asked why. When I told them the story, they said "I don't get it".

Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
  10. Cluckies

Cluckies Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    hahaha!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by