Minnesota!

Falling Coconuts....
gig.gif

He is some serious Yard Decoration. The girls will love him.

Ralphie, they are stunning!

It is not me, it is EJB that deserves the credit on them. He raised them. and was generous enough to let me have them.

They are nice looking but I am thinking Ole might be a tad touched in the head. I can't wait to get them into the main coop...

BTW the other day I asked how many remembered "bakers Dozens". Now I have a new do you remember, from looking at craigslist. How many remember John Deere day?

It was a major event when I was a kid right up there with Easter and Xmas.

I don't remember John Deere day. I do remember a bakers dozen. I will say though when we bought minnows at Ebner's when I was young, you just bought it by the scoop and it was way more than a dozen.

We never bought minnows at Ebners. That was way down in Elk River!

I can't believe you do not remember John Deere day. Of course the last one was probably in the late 60's.

We got to eat wieners ( a treat) and store bought baked beans and we got to see a movie too. Life did not get better. But alas, I think bakers dozens and John Deere day are things of the past.

We never bought minnows at Ebners. That was way down in Elk River!

I can't believe you do not remember John Deere day. Of course the last one was probably in the late 60's.

We got to eat wieners ( a treat) and store bought baked beans and we got to see a movie too. Life did not get better. But alas, I think bakers dozens and John Deere day are things of the past.
I drive by Ebners store almost everyday in Elk River! I live in Big Lake!

I can't say I know anything about John Deere Day but where I grew up we called ponds sloughs (pronounced slews) when I say that here NO ONE knows what I am talking about. We also called combine machines threshing machines and every fall went to the threshermens festival.

Ralphie your roosters are some lookers!! I have to say I am partial to Ed. He sure is handsome! Is there a way of marking the egg to know which one was the colder one and see what happens in the incubator?

Ralphie, I know some people say you can store eggs in the fridge while collecting for hatching, and some say at room temp, so your cold one may be okay. They all say to turn them daily, as far as I can tell. I believe you want to collect over a 2-week period.

I wonder if anyone's noticed a difference in viability in refrigerated vs room temp hatching eggs?

Glad to hear you finally got some more EE roos - I just picked up a new roo myself.

He was a grand champion black copper Marans last year at the fair, but after the molt some tail feathers came in white and he can no longer be shown or bred for showing. So he was FREE to me because the little girl didn't want him to just be eaten. He is so beautiful and very friendly & calm. She named him Copper Toes, and he eyes me quietly when I say his name. He is in a separate pen with run, so the others can see him during the quarantine period.

I introduced my cuckoo Marans hens to him 2 days ago, and they are getting along well so far. I would have waited longer, but we had that bitter cold snap, and everyone appears healthy. Their offspring should be sex-linked, from what I've read. I do plan on caponizing and eventually eating the cockerels.

Stay warm, everybody. I've got to call for propane today. Can't wait until our woodstove can be installed...
Let the egg sit out in room temp for 24-hours and try it is my opinion. I HAVE hatched eegs that were frozen but not cracked not a high percentage, but sometimes they do. This time of year, if they arent cracked, they get set. I have also set and hatched eggs that were over two-weeks old,and again, not a high percentage of them hatch, but enough do that I can say I have done it. As for your porcelain egg though, Ralpie, it will depend on what egg color gene your rooster is bringing to the pairing. It will change since the male carries a heavier influence on the color both in feathering and the egg color. Additionally, if it is a crossbreed hen laying them, the outcome may surprise you. Unless you can trace the lines going into it, and you are well versed on color genetics, I would say it is a shot in the dark. That being said, I have set things just to see what happens for the fun of it, so why not try?
Variety is the spice of life!

I put the egg with the rest, after it was mixed in and I was having coffee, a little light appeared above my head and said " you should mark that egg and see if it hatches".

That's me day late and dollar short.

Minnie I know it is a long shot to get another porcelain egg, but I can hope. Not knowing who lays it makes it an even longer shot. I am hoping when it hatches it will have it's mothers eye's or features so I can tell the mommy right away...... We called them sloughs too, and I still do and get that same blank look. It is the same look I get when I ask a waitress down south for a "pop".

I candle all the eggs before I set them, if they have funny lines or cracks I put them into the "eat" pile.

I played "sloughy" in a Scrabble tournament once and my opponent went nuts calling for a challenge. BTW he was still shaking his head afterwards in disbelief.

Speaking of a disjointed post. Wife's fault she was talking and I was pretending to listen.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom