Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by foxhollow, Jul 17, 2008.

1. ejb3810

ejb3810 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2010
    Northern Minnesota
    Ralphie, yes Ed is the one that I got in Carlton. The lady said the chick was an Ameraucana pullet. She had a Hmong gentleman come and sex several dozen chicks, and of the 10 chicks I bought 8 were pullets. The ones that were supposed to be Ameraucanas are in fact EE. They have the muffs and beards and body type is ok, but the colors are not recognized color varieties as per the "Standard Of Perfection". Really it makes no difference unless one is into showing or raising birds to the SOP. In my opinion there is no such thing as purebred chickens.
    On a different note, Lena, Inga, Elke and Tilly my Partridge Chantecler pullets all seem to be madder than wet hens! They apparently are not happy that Ole is gone. I have assured them that he is not going to a stew pot and mentioned that I had kept Sven for them. Sven is Ole's big brother. It seems that they are quite upset, and it may be a cold day in Helsinki before I get any more eggs from them, but wait isn't it winter in Helsinki as we speak?

1 person likes this.
  2. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    Thanks, I thought that was what you said..

I have been trying to find out more about partridge chanticlers. I did not know they are not related to chanticlers at all.

Ed is the largest EE I have ever seen. or whatever he is. makes no difference to me as long has he makes babies. I enjoy my mutts.

I hope he has the blue egg gene, Time will tell.

Thanks again.

Ed and Ole had a sight tussle to see who was boss when I first put them together. Ole backed down fast and they are living in harmony now. Matter of fact I think I hear them humming "we are the world" right now.

3. ejb3810

ejb3810 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2010
    Northern Minnesota
    Ralphie, it just goes to prove the old adage. It's not the size of the dog in the fight but the size of the fight in the dog.

4. Dandelioness

Dandelioness Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2014
    East Central MN
    Hi there - I used this site when I had ordered a hatchery mix one year, to ID my chicks. Wood ducks: http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/NDG/Ducks/Wood/BRKWoodies.html Muscovies: http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/Ducks/Musc/BRKScobies.html I hope he found his family! It might be worth a shot to research when they breed. It seems early for natural ducklings, but we did have that spring like weather.

5. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    I agree it seems early for a natural hatch, but strange things happen.

Speaking of strange things the last of my Cornish Cross pullets died today.

I may just be up against genetics that cannot be defeated. Bert still is healthy and active. The pullets never were as active or fit looking.

I now have to decide what to do with Bert. If I could find someone that has a CX pullet I would gladly let him go live with them. I am thinking of bringing a couple of Dixie rainbows in to Bert pen. I would have to lock them into the area to assure no other rooster mates with them. In about a month I could try to hatch some of the eggs. That should be enough time to get the other roosters semen out of them.

The problem with this plan is the darn Guineas. They share a covered pen with Bert. I have just kept Bert and the girls out of the pen by opening the human door everyday for them to go outside.

What to do. I was so hoping the CX's would raise frogs, there will be no frogs this spring.

Bert seems so healthy, I need to do something for him. I might move him to the “quarantine” area in the other coop for a few days and put the hens and him back in his coop after this cold snap.

Ideas welcomed..

ANYONE THAT HAS A CX GIRLFRIEND FOR BERT CAN HAVE HIM otherwise I will find a purpose for him. (not the pot, he is too cool for the pot)

6. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    If you found it in your back yard, it is most likely a wild Mallard.

7. lightchick

lightchick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    How well do CX hens lay? I'm thinking of getting one as a pet (yes I know their usually for meat, but I want to save one) and I know a few of you guys have CX's that your using for breeding or something?

8. Bantymama

Bantymama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    MN
    Looking to see if anyone has any fertile Runner duck eggs with in 2 hours of Detroit Lakes. I would rather pick them up than mess with shipped eggs.

9. Sorry, no runners. :( I have Pekin/mallard mixes, though!

10. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    My CX pullets were hatched on July 30th. They never did lay eggs. I have read those hatched in late fall may never lay eggs. I am not sure if July 30 is considered too late for them or not. The 2 CX's that Jessica and MountainMom have seem to lay an egg every other day. (from the Cornish Cross thread)

I am going to try and raise a couple this year and see how they do. They are sweet birds. Bert seems fine, but that could be just luck of the draw. The pullets have not seemed as active as Bert for a couple months.

I am going to go to Ramsey and see if they have any CX's in there yet and maybe raise them in the basement for a while, if I can convince the war department this is a good idea. She may think otherwise.
    If I got some soon, I might get eggs by September. I am also going to get a better set up for them for over the winter. I may have overfed them once the snow hit.

I am thinking Mrs Bert Died of a broken heart or harmed herself in an over reaction to Bert playing the field. I caught a White Rock and Bert Huddled together in the corner of Bert's coop today. An EE'er came running out squawking about something just before I saw the two of them. The White Rock had a very guilty look on her face.

I have seen the white rock and an EE'er hanging with Bert a lot the last few weeks. I only have one white rock so I know it is the same girl. I Wish I knew which egg she lays incase they actually hooked up. A Bert Jr would be so cool.

This is going to sound stupid again, but do the hens have any say in which rooster they mate with? Is it possible Bert is doing his job with those two?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by