Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by foxhollow, Jul 17, 2008.

1. nj2wv

nj2wv Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2015
    Lost Creek ,WV
    I think hens have more say than a rooster. My hens run from the roosters they don't like.

2. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    You are killing me, Ralphie!!! You need someone to illustrate your little stories. You could sell them to poultry mags! You are funny.

3. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Chicken Obsessed

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    Agree and x2 Minnie on Ralphie's chicken Days of our Lives.

Ralphie. I've seen a submissive roo sneak in on the action and the hen's accept him. So it can happen. usually the alpha roo gets mad and mates then too. Competitors they are if they get along or not.

4. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    Minnie and Bogtown Chick:
    Thanks for the compliment on my writings, but alas I feel I am not good enough to ever have anything published. I just enjoy jotting down little tales with minor embellishments.

I have seen my lessor Roo's attempt to mate and have a higher roo pull him off the hen. I have not seen the higher roo then mate the hen, I find that interesting.

I am going to try and integrate Bert into the main flock. The chickens already know him and I think he is in the pecking order, however, I am not sure he will be tolerated inside the main coop. I know when Brutus, the greatest rooster to ever live" was alive he would sit outside the coop every night and perform " coop monitor" duties.

Any chicken that tried to get into his coop that did not belong there he would run off. Even though the two coops of chickens roamed the same ground and socialized during the day, come night Brutus did not allow them in. Of Course, Brutus being so superior to ordinary roosters would also round up his chickens and make them come into his coop. He stood outside the coop cucking and calling until everyone came in.

He seldom ever took a roost spot. He would sit right at the doorway facing out, until I closed it. In the morning when I opened it he was right near the door again. Why is it all the good die young? I assume that is the reason I am still alive though..

5. lalaland

lalaland Overrun With Chickens

Sep 26, 2008
    Pine County MN
    I am enjoying the extra daylight we are getting now, but.......[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  6. starbuck123

starbuck123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2015
    Haha - I will have to copy that picture. :)

7. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    I am down to 13 eggs today from my 23-26 I normally get. If this keeps up as long as they say I may need to buy eggs! I will be lucky to get 8 tomorrow.

It is so cold the coconuts are falling off the trees in my yard. The dog got hit by one and one just missed me.

As close as those coconuts are hitting, I am going to buy 2 lottery tickets this week. But then it is only for 40 million, hardy worth the bother of going out for a ticket in this cold.

8. Dandelioness

Dandelioness Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2014
    East Central MN

IDK if I trust this source. I heard it would be the 2nd of Never.

Just kidding. Sorta.

9. BlackBrookPoultry

BlackBrookPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Western Wisconsin
    Looks like a wood duck. If it doesn't "find it's family" right away, you should catch it and bring it to a wildlife rehab or experienced duck personm

10. Cluckies

Cluckies Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    Agreed, there is an avian rehab place in Roseville/shoreview/arden hills area. When I brought a couple of baby chipping sparrows there, they had many baby ducks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by