Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by foxhollow, Jul 17, 2008.

1. ejb3810

ejb3810 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2010
    Northern Minnesota
    Ed was the other candidate for fly tying classes as he is such a pretty boy, but alas it was his brother that flew into the coop wall and broke his neck. Fate intervened and lucky Ed has instead to go to somewhere that his lot in life is to care for the ladies, and being such a pretty boy the ladies are likely to be very attracted to him!

2. Rhetts

Rhetts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2015
    Northern Minnesota
    You guys crack me up!

Yes, I would say we Minnesotans are a hearty bunch. It was incredibly cold this morning!! I don't mind winter ( I do live in Minnesota after all where winter is 9 months of the year) but I really love the snow and that is something we are sorely lacking this year. How far down is the frost up here on the Range does anyone know? It has to be deep.

Ralphie-I hope your dog is OK after her coconut injury!! You best wear a hard hat for your safety!! Sorry you lost your other CX girl. I think we should definitely start at your place working out the building kinks of the coops and runs and by the time we get to my place it should be smooth sailing! [​IMG] Why would you want to win the lottery at such a low number any way? I mean 40 million what the heck can you do with that anyway? And after you get the cash option what are you down to like 19 million? Really would you even want to deal with the stress of such a little amount?

3. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    Rhett I would refuse the small amount and insist they hold my winning ticket for something closer to the value I deserve. I figure that to be around 150 mill or so. That is after taxes , of course.

I mean really, how many chickens can you buy for 19 million? Is it worth it?

4. Rhetts

Jan 20, 2015
    Northern Minnesota
    Exactly what I was thinking!!! [​IMG]

5. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    I just went out to lock the coop door.

As I told you I moved Bert to the main coop having him live in the feed area that adjourns the chicken area, separated by a screen fence. Bert has always associated with the "normal" chickens. I left the human door open so he could go into the feed area if he wanted to go outside.

When I went out to lock them up here is where I found Bert,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see he wanted in with the other chickens, BUT he is too big to go through the door!

I know it is rude, but I laughed at Bert when I saw this.

6. lalaland

lalaland Overrun With Chickens

Sep 26, 2008
    Pine County MN
    thats just pitiful! poor Bert! (wow, he really is a bruiser, isn't he)

7. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    Haha. poor Bert. His Pects are too big.

8. lightchick

lightchick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    Awww poor guy! LOL

9. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    Next instalment of "As the Chicken Turns" starring Bert.

Bert survived just fine last night, He even managed to roost, sort of. He climbed up on a feed sack and spend the night, When I came out this morning he jumped down. I thought it was an earthquake but it was just Bert jumping down. I told Bert not to jump because he could break his legs. I am pretty sure he understood me. I then told him the sad tale of Ed's brother flying into a wall, breaking his neck and becoming fish food. I think that scared the bejesus out of him and he will be more careful.

I propped the human door open to the feed area Bert slept in so he could go in an out at will today. I then propped the human door to the chicken area open so Bert could mingle with the real chickens. The real chickens ran through the human door to the outside, they prefer the human door for some reason, and stopped dead. The horror of horrors had occurred. There was 3/4 of an inch of new white snow on the ground. No one dared go outside. No one would be the first to try it.

I sprinkled BOSS on the new snow for them to eat at. None of them moved. Until Bert showed the girls it was safe and lead the way outside. Ernie was standing next to Bert and even he, being older and more mature was afraid. Ernie came out after Bert did. The girls followed, peace and happiness ruled once again.

Then I saw it was a day to play waterboy, so I drudged to the hydrant filled my buckets and drudged back. I have 3 waterers 2 outside and 1 inside. The inside one was empty. The other 2 had water, but the chickens all decided the water inside was better so when I carried the bucket inside they all followed me, including Bert. I filled the waterer while having to reach over 30 chickens trying to crowd around it. Bert pushed his way to the front to drink. Bert I guess thought this water was better than the water I gave him in his own personal dog dish. After I closed the waterer up I looked at the nests and saw I had a few chickens nesting and some eggs to pick.

As soon as I looked one of the hens growled at me. I did not even make a move towards the nest and she was mad at me!. Trying to help Bert get over his mourning for Mrs Bert, I advised him not to get mixed up with the grouchy one. He told me not to worry she was not his type. I collected my measly bunch of eggs all 7 of them. Gave them all a pep talk and told them I needed more rent or they would have to move else where. After all my coop is not run by the salvation army or Catholic Charities.

I saw I only had about 4 inches of feed in the feeder. So I got an open bag and started pouring it into the feeder. Again the same 30 chickens and Bert that decided they needed to eat right at that moment. I then went back to the house. I came back about 4 hours later to see how Bert was doing. Now before I go on, you have to understand, I have a "redneck" chicken yard. I have pick up toppers and Pallets leaning against each other, I have old deck railing leaning on each other to make chicken ladders and places for the birds to hide in case of eagles. Which is very often here.

I looked around the front of the coop, no Bert! I looked in the feed area, lots of chickens but no Bert. I looked in the coop, one grouchy hen sitting in the same nest still, chewing me out for looking at her. I think she may have PMS, Which in hens is bad because everyday is the day before ovulation. No Bert, I looked in the pen, No Bert. I had seen an eagle fly over an hour earlier and kicked the dogs out to eat chicken poop and protect the source of said poop. I did not think an eagle had gotten Bert, but I was worried.

Then I walked over to the white Pick up topper. There was Bert inside with a bunch of other chickens including Ernie and Nameless, my other roosters. They were seeming to get along no fighting! I am thinking I can let Bert sleep in the regular coop tonight. My only concern is Bert and his attitude towards the girls. Bert is a player, He had 3 or 4 girls right next to him and he was doing his thing. I am a tad afraid Ernie wil be upset when he sees Bert has all his women. BUT I will have to let it play out.

For those of you that call CX's dirty. lazy and less than a chicken I wish you could see Bert in action, He is living proof mainstreaming special needs chickens like him will work and improve their self esteem. You can hardly tell Bert is special if you over look the fact he weighs 25 lbs.

However, another concern has arisen, I am thinking Bert may have been complicit in Mrs Bert's death. Bert seems to have stopped mourning pretty darn fast and picking up girls already. However, it is possible the white rock was involved instead of Bert, She again was right next to Bert rubbing up against him and purring in his ears. I do not trust her at all.

(edited a ton of times to add all the "L's that did not type the first time, since the pea soup spillage incident.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
    6 people like this.
  10. Rhetts

Jan 20, 2015
    Northern Minnesota
    I can never get enough of "As the Chicken Turns"!!

I, too, am giving the hens their "you better start laying eggs or else" speech. We only got 3 yesterday and today out of 18 hens (We got as many as 16 eggs last month). I am not including the 7 EEs that have not started laying yet but I probably should start in on them soon. This cold sure seems to be taking its toll.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by