1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by foxhollow, Jul 17, 2008.

1. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

A couple of turkey vultures waiting to make their move:

[​IMG]7u

[​IMG]

And JJ making his move on the women:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And finally Bert on his roost;

[​IMG]

2. Dandelioness

Dandelioness Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2014
    East Central MN
    Bert looks so comfy!

It sounds like he's integrating into the main flock well. So, is he actually mating or just courting at this point? He seems like such a big guy, would it be harmful like a standard roo mating with a bantam hen??

Are you concerned about those turkey vultures?

3. Rhetts

Rhetts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2015
    Northern Minnesota
    Bert, Bert, Bert, why does it surprise me that his roosting place is on the feed?

4. duluthralphie

I really never thought about his size being a problem. Hmmmm. I need to think about that....

I plan to mate him with my Dixie rainbows which are pretty good size themselves. I am not sure what would happen if he mounted his GF the white rock, she is so small.

Rhett, he is going to be moved to roosting on a wood chip bag soon, I need the feed he is on.

5. Rhetts

Rhetts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2015
    Northern Minnesota
    Can I ask for some advice?
    DH and I built a coop this winter and finished it the end of December. We (I) made a mistake in thinking the 2 windows we put in were what everyone refers to as ventilation. Obviously, we now know there is a difference and need to modify it. (read: take hack saw out to cut holes in coop)
    The coop is 12x16 with a window on the east and west sides with the door on the south. The interior has a vaulted ceiling so not a flat ceiling.
    So my question to everyone is should we go with roof venting or go with on the wall/side venting? If we go with side/wall venting do we go on the same sides as the windows or do we go on the peaks on the opposite ends? If roof vents do we go with one on each roof peak or two on one side? OR do we buy a fan type vent and put it in the peak part of wall? I know, I know, we botched the build with out venting but we are going to fix it and don't know what would be best. What type of venting would be best suited for our bitterly cold winters but work efficiently?
    Thanks in advance for any thoughts on the matter. Sorry for my ignorance! We are still learning! [​IMG]

6. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    I have a vaulted peak too. Ventilation for those types are best in a roof vent with whirly type venting pipe. The singl slant roof does the best from my after thought research with moisture and venting out at the high wall.

7. duluthralphie

I have a vaulted ceiling also, I have a couple vents in the roof, not enough.

I have the top of the gable ends, helps lots still not enough. I have plexi-glass over the 3 windows but I leave one chicken door (the one going to the covered run) open 24/7 to help bring in colder air. I am going to have less chickens in it next year. One of my roosters lost so much of his single comb he looks like a rose comb now.

I am going to have more ventilation next year in every coop. The birds outside did better for frostbite than those inside. It is a live and earn thing for me. I like the idea of the open vaulted ceiling for the birds to roost in and it I a tad warmer, but the moisture stinks, However, some of the moisture problems occurred during the warm wet time and not the cold.

8. ejb3810

ejb3810 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2010
    Northern Minnesota
    I SUGGEST THAT THOSE HAVING EGG PRODUCTION PROBLEMS WITH THEIR HENS DO THIS. GATHER THEM AROUND AND EXPLAIN THAT THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO LAY ON A REGULAR BASIS, AND IF YOU HAVE ANY THAT DON'T THEN CONFORM ASK THEM THEIR THOUGHTS REGARDING CHICKEN AND DUMPLINGS ?

9. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    I have a sticky space bar...so I get a lot of interesting compound words.

I can just see Bert out there in their Chicken yard trying to find his way in the new order. He's getting along isn't he. Bless him.... [​IMG][​IMG]

10. duluthralphie

Bert seems to be getting along fine, but Bert is not very aggressive. I did see he had a small drop of blood behind his comb last night, I assume Nameless wanted to prove he is boss. Nameless is a half a step from becoming headless. Now that I have Ed, Ole, Bert and Ernie, I do not need nameless as much as I did.

You failed to tell us how your space bar got sticky.... enquiring minds want to know.

My Hens like chicken and dumplings EJB as long as they are not the chicken in the dumplings they will eat it...They eat anything.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by